Fenix 5 Series - 14.72 Beta Release

We have new beta software ready for your upcoming adventures!

Fenix 5s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11661
Fenix 5: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11663
Fenix 5x: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11665

Note: Please allow for the updates to propagate across all servers. There is no need to post that the link does not work. It will after a bit of patience.

14.72 Change Log Notes:

• Brought in support for CIQ SDK v3.1. (Fenix 5X requires new Display FW v3.11)
  • Improved pairing experience with Garmin Dual ANT+/BLE Sensors.
  • Fixed an issue with treadmill calibration.
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where average HR, max HR and calorie counts could be inaccurate during a pool swim.
  • Fixed an issue where the course list appears to skip a course when scrolling.
  • Made several improvements for Golf.
  • Made other miscellaneous code improvements and bug fixes.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the fenix 5 series you have in the subject line.

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

• What does this mean for me as a fenix 5X owner "

• Brought in support for CIQ SDK v3.1. (Fenix 5X requires new Display FW v3.11)" 

Does it give me more posibility to get more advanced Connect IQ apps

• Yes, some apps built for CIQ v3.1 were not working on fenix 5 series. Now they do. I doesn’t necessarily mean they are more advanced though.

• Confirming the Last Sport widget does not update.

But what's worse, I have done a Factory reset and the watch has a problem to complete the setup with Connect App (Android). It just does not finsih. Watch is found, paired, setup starts but when it comes to Sync the personal data, it cannot complete.

EDIT:

I had to select Skip in the app and while the watch was still in the "specific mode" select Sync Now from the app Devices screen. Then it resumed the connection and synced.

EDIT 2:

Well, not even factory reset has helped (couple of them, followed later again with another soft rest), the battery suffers the same drain.

• Selecting

Apps - Navigate - Activities

just brings you to the same screen over and over.

• I have found one more serious issue. Active calories. Active calorie counts for the periods without activity increased significantly. For activities calorie counts are the same as prior to an update. Total for the day active calories increased by about 30 - 40 percent, all on account of the periods without “activity”. My normal daily active calories during activities 700-1000, total active was in average 900 – 1300. Since last beta 14.72 update – total active calories 2000 – 2500 daily. Too high. During activities I always use chest straps. So I presume f5 heart rate monitor readings changed after the update. 

• as other users, I also have the same issue for all "last activities" widgets. Last one from Thursday 17.10 after update to beta

• Igor, this looks like a very interesting issue that likely goes beyond the Active Calorie count that you have identified.

In trying to understand the issue that you raised, I have come across a related issue, which may be the problem that they as trying to fix. Have a look at the intensity minutes, which I expect becomes part of the calories calculation. I find that since the upgrade to the 14.72 Beta, I have no blank intensity minutes days. At a minimum, without exercise activity, I have at lease 14 intensity minutes,many, previously blank. In addition, on days when I exercise, the intensity minutes are significantly higher, as we should expect, but much higher than the time spent exercising, which likely makes sense as we are likely to be burning calories well past the end of the primary exercise session.

The interesting issue, which I suspect is part of the issue that they are trying to fix, and which may well be reflected in the historic data that you are seeing, is that when I go back for a period before the Beta, the intensity minutes gaps (days with no intensity minutes) include days with exercise activity. It may well be that the historic data that you consider accurate and which is different from the current data, may actually be the error.

• Igor, I have the same problem. Plus my stress app stopped working...now every time after the 30” countdown it says check watch fit...