14.2 Battery Drain and other weird behavior

I updated to 14.2 a couple of days ago, and since then have had terrible battery drain issues, for example went to bed with over 30% last night, but watch completely drained in the night and was dead this morning  (I know these are the sorts of issues reported by others), but I am also getting wired behavior when recording activities.

I was (attempting to) record a triathlon yesterday. Swim recorded fine, 1st transition fine, about ten minutes into the cycle the watch turned itself off completely. I re-booted it during the run but the screens just kept scrolling through, coming up with all the different screens on the activity itself, and also going into the settings fields etc. I stopped it from recording on the Triathlon setting, and started it recording on the run setting instead, but was exactly the same.

I am so annoyed at Garmin about this, do they not actually test software updates before launching them on their unsuspecting customers? Or is it that we are just the guinea pigs to root out issues? Am so angry that I couldn't record the event, its not like I get to do them that often, and really needed the data :-(

• I agree - it's a bit strange that instead of allowing people to comment on this, Garmin just tells us to go to a web site that in no way explains why there could be a change between 13.4 and 14.2 and then closes down the discussion.  
    For me too, these battery drain issues remain.

• Hello,
    After updating to 14.20, the Garmin fenix 5 will discharge 10% per hour very quickly. That is not normal. Previously lasted up to 14 days !!!
    I'd like to downgrade to 13.23 Beta but I can't because my Garmin Fenix 5 won't connect to my PC Error: The device was stopped because it reported a problem. (Code 43)
    Please Garmin for help how do I connect my watch to my PC?
    Is there any way to fix this?
    I'm considering an action against Garmin for damaging the product !!

• With FW 14.20, GPS 2.51

After 24 h, from 100% to 97 %.

Function: no activity, no WLAN, no Bluetooth, no HR, no special APPS. Only the core function of the Fenix 5x,

• The only solution for the time being is to go back to 13.30 version. Unacceptable behavior from garmin support staff.

• indeed going back to 13.30 was the only way... The watch cannot connect to Garmin Connect IQ now, and I don't know how to sort this out

• Just notice that when i charge my Fenix 5 to a power supply (not with computer) the screen is the same as if the Garmin is connected to a computer... Previously it was different. And when i'm charging i'm not able to access the wacth menu...

• Something is not right....on my first charge after 14.20 my Fenix 5 was averaging 0.35% over 7 days with 2hr GPS total activities.

Now on my second charge it is averaging 0.55% so far over 3 days with 1hr GPS total activities.

• Still the same for me too, update FW 14.20 but battery drain 1.5% an hour, all functions disconected...my fenix5 is now just a simple watch....i've already try all the things ....back to 13.30....back to 13.51....reset total...every function disconnected....it stills draining and draining....i thought about send it back to garmin suuport but it gonna take a least 3 weeks to get it back and i can't train without my watch !

Garmin....WHAT COULD YOU DO WITH THAT PROBLEM ...I BOUGHT THAT WATCH 600€ AND AFTER 9 MOUNTH  THE BATTERY 'S OUT!????

WHAT COULD YOU DO? CLOSE THE DISCUSSION WITH SAYING YOU FOUND THE ISSUE????

ANNOYING !!!!!

•  I am having the same problem with my Fenix 5 which by the way is the second I got after the 13.20 update f.. my battery according to Garmin Support and they gave me a new one. I am not work out right now because some heath issues however the watch was working fine two weeks battery and sometime more and after the 14.20 update the battery is draining like hell. I just notice that is worst at night when I am sleeping it drain the battery sometime by 10% in only one night. Watch and phone in do not disturb so not notification are comming I sleep beside the phone so not Bluetooth issue.

I want to go back to 13.30 can someone let me know how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

• The battery drain problem has been arround since 13.40 version. I made a ticket with garmin support back then and reverted back to the 13.3 version since then. A few days ago I get this email:

"We have identified a possible issue with software version 13.40 for the fenix 5 that can cause additional battery drain to take place. If you are experiencing increased battery drain on your fenix 5, update your software to version 14.20, or later."

Now I'm reading this...well done Garmin!