No GPS recorded at all on today's run. Nothing different to previous runs on same route. Any help please?

Hi, I went running this morning and started the Run Activity as usual.  But when I got back and uploaded to strava there wasn't a map.  I can't find a map on Garmin Connect either (but I don't know where to look so I might be looking in the wrong place).  I've had maps for all my runs and bike rides this week just this one is missing the map. I haven't done anything different but I did turn the watch off last night to save the battery.  It's a Fenix 5x.  Many thanks.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

using your own maps ?

used galileo or glonass ?

firmware up to date ?

are you willing to post  the fit file so we or you yourself can have a look at it with FitFileRepairTool

zip the fit file and post it here in the forum or provide a link to it on a cloud storage

happy & safe sporting

• Hi OnlyTwo, as an oldie and a bit of a technophile I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry.  All I know is I've had the watch for about a month, it's new. I just click on Run, start the thing and start running.  I haven't uploaded any routes or anything clever like that.  When I get home I upload to Garmin Connect and it goes to strava.  There's always a map on strava of where I've been (cycling or running) but this morning there's no map.  Apart from turning my watch off overnight last night to save on battery power I haven't done anything different. It's baffling and really frustrating.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 6441106

When I get home I upload to Garmin Connect and it goes to strava.

I assume via Garmin Express ? not that it matters

without the file which could contain the evidence we are also without idea's

Apart from turning my watch off overnight last night to save on battery power I haven't done anything different.

doing this also stops your time during power down

did you notice your watch syncing the time with your phone when powering it on ?

when your watch is not paired with a phone you should sync your time via GPS on your watch

makes this any sense for you now Wink

• I just turned the watch back on when I got up and put it on my wrist, the correct time appeared in about 5-6 seconds. All the other stats from the run were fine (time, distance, pace etc), it's just the map that's not there. I'll go for a run later today and try again.  But thanks for trying. 

Sorry to be such a simpleton, this is all new to me but the watch has been fine so far.  As I hadn't done anything different this morning I couldn't work out why the GPS suddenly hasn't worked at all.  I thought it came on automatically when I started an activity (obviously as long as I'm outside or away from dense trees etc).

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Former Member
    without the file which could contain the evidence we are also without idea's

you did not touch this one Slight smile

I just turned the watch back on when I got up and put it on my wrist, the correct time appeared in about 5-6 seconds. All the other stats from the run were fine (time, distance, pace etc), it's just the map that's not there. I'll go for a run later today and try again.  But thanks for trying. 

via phone ?

Sorry to be such a simpleton, this is all new to me but the watch has been fine so far.  As I hadn't done anything different this morning I couldn't work out why the GPS suddenly hasn't worked at all.  I thought it came on automatically when I started an activity (obviously as long as I'm outside or away from dense trees etc).

there is a red ring turning green and beeping when gps reception is ok

no reception at the start, no problem it will catch up later in the run

why it did not do this is hidden in the file Wink

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

related...

connect-map-of-run

fenix 5(x)(s) fw 13.30

map-not-showing-in-connect-app-after-activity

forerunner 935 fw 13.30

happy & safe sporting

• Check out my running activity on Garmin Connect. #beatyesterday
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4351734378?share_unique_id=12

Can you take a look at this one?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to arquijote

when you ask why no GSP track ?

time for a watch restart, long press light button until the screen goes dark

I see no GPS sensor logged in that activity

dec 20 '19 no GPS sensor no GPS track

feb 21 '19 with GPS sensor & GPS track

happy & safe sporting

• I am having the exact same problem. All the distance and pace stats are there from run but no map record. Also the same with Strava i.e. the run is there in terms of data but no map view. I also have a link to Relive which doesn't even recognise an activity form my Garmin now. An additional problem I am encountering is when I stop a run or activity the screen goes virtually blank so I cannot see to resume, save or discard. But the display is fine fo rthe watch and when selecting activity or running through menu's. Did you ever get to solve the map issue?? 

• Hello. I had the same problem. I ran my virtual NYC marathon and when I finished, I stopped the watch and it gave me the blue triangle for some minutes and then finally allowed my to stop the activity. But it was uploaded with no map whatsoever. I already downloaded the fit file and uploaded it manually and still no map. Problem is, if there's no map info, I am not eligible for receiving my medal.

Can you help me to see if the file can be repaired and the map retrieved?