Buy Fenix 5x or not?

Hi,

I own the Forerunner 935, but can buy the Fenix 5X for a nice price.

I also use Stryd for pace and distance. I wear a hrm strap for running.

Are you guys still happy with you Fenix 5X? Would you buy it again?

Any known issues? GPS ok? Barometer OK?

please help me decide.

I would buy it mainly because it looks much nicer then the plastic forerunner 935.

• I've just bought a regular 5 having come from a vivofit->vivoactiveHR->vivoactive 3 route. Finally got fed up waiting for a vivoactive 3 battery fix, I was getting less than a day. I'm too far into the garmin system to just change and aside from the vivoactive 3 battery issue which will undoubtedly get fixed eventually, have always been happy with the watches and other kit I've owned.

The price drop finally tempted me. Here in the UK it's less than £300 now and given that the only difference between it and the plus is the onboard music, that i don't use. Garmin Pay that I have on the vivoactive 3 but doesn't work with my bank, and onboard mapping that I can live without it's a bargain price for me.

Early days yet but I am impressed. Getting used to a non touchscreen is strange at first but I think I'm going to prefer the button approach once I remember the screen doesn't do anything. Slight smile

HR band and cadence sensors all connected straight away and work as expected. It's not even as heavy and 'big' as I'd expected after reading reviews but I guess that's subjective.

GPS and barometer all seem ok to me but as I said it's early days for me yet. It certainly i a nice looking watch iMHO.

• Hi,

300 GBP for a Fenix 5X? The cheapest on amazon.co.uk is 500 GBP.

or did you buy the regular Fenix 5 (instead of 5X)?

• If you are mainly going for looks, then I would go with *cheaper* option like Fenix 5S, 5, or vivoactive 3.

For the Fenix 5X, I have experienced no issue with mine, everything works.'

And given the same circumstances, I would buy again (upgrading from Fenix 3, with discount)

• Sorry my bad. Yes it's a regular 5 not the X. Confused

• The OP has a Stryd, which is NOT recommended for use with an F5 (the F5X is OK).

• The F5X has most of the same functionality as the 935, but adds mapping at the cost of battery life, and allegedly lower OHR accuracy for some people. 

Unless mapping is a priority for you, it seems a big price just for looks, and it might be better holding out for the additional functionality 945, or the F6 (2020???). Can you improve the looks of your current 935 with a new band?

• Initially I bought a Fenix 5 (as I do not care about the maps) but apparently Fenix 5S and Fenix 5 have (or at least had) a BIG issue with the ANT+ - it was recording data from the sensors (HRM, tempe, Stryd, etc) for up to 80% of the time during a workout, which rendered it useless for me. I've sold it and "upgraded" to 5X.