Water Resistant question (manual contradicts itself.)

hi everyone,

recently got the Fenix 5X. Just a quick one regarding the water Resistance on it. Now obviously do not press buttons underwater, that’s just common knowledge. 

But it is it okay to press when the watch is out of water? The reason I ask. The manual says do not operate the buttons when or if the watch is wet. But yet the Fenix 5X manual also says that it’s meant to be used for surface swimming and to use buttons to change the menus. Can anyone shed any light on this?

also, when the device is wet does water go under the button but not into the device? Does it have pressed in buttons?

thanks

Top Replies

• Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago +1
    But it is it okay to press when the watch is out of water? The reason I ask. The manual says do not operate the buttons when or if the watch is wet. But yet the Fenix 5X manual also says that…

All Replies

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago
    But it is it okay to press when the watch is out of water? The reason I ask. The manual says do not operate the buttons when or if the watch is wet. But yet the Fenix 5X manual also says that it’s meant to be used for surface swimming and to use buttons to change the menus. Can anyone shed any light on this

Where in the manual does it say not to press the buttons when wet?  I can't seem to find it. I found where it says not to press buttons underwater.  The ATM rating is for pressure depth.  Pressing the buttons while under pressure can obviously break the seal, but being wet will have no compromise on the seals because there's no pressure to send water into the watch. 

• I tried to find it again, but couldn’t see it. I might’ve confused it with another model, there’s definitely somewhere on the Garmin website that says avoid using the buttons under water and if the device is wet. But as I said maybe I’ve confused it with another’s model. I was thinking that, but I’m so paranoid with all these little things! Just trying to prolong the life of my device! Thanks for the reply!

• I own a garmin fenix 5 and i swam with it twice, i didn't dive, and now i can throw it because water got into it. I didn't press the buttons and all of a sudden the water came in. So it’s usually expensive rubbish from the watch.

• have swam with fenix 5 atleaste 50 or more times , its still perfectly fine.