vo2 max does not increase.

Hello everyone...

Does anyone here know which segments of a run are included in the calculation of the Vo2 value?

Background... I started 2 years ago with the Fenix... the first runs at 51/52 since then I'm at 48... Yesterday I ran a race again for a long time..10k cross, in 43min... Vo2 max 48...I got a lot of awards..fastest mile, fastest 5k, fastest 10k...

But why doesn't the Vo2 max value go up?

Thanks ...

• did you set the activity as a Run or Trail ?

As only Runs are taken into account, it's dum but that's Garmin for you so if that's the case (as for me), run in a RUN activity and once all done change it to trail if need be after the run has been taken into account

Hope that helps

• minty95: although you are right about the calculations only happening during RUN based activities, you are wrong about it being dumb - the change was something a number of us pushed for a few years ago. The algorithm is based on running for a period of time on a flat and smooth (pavement like) surface, and although it is supposed to try to pick out these portions, it is still only an algorithm!.  Running on a trail, in sand, mud, snowshoe running etc all mean you use more effort (HR) for less result (pace/speed) which messes with the algorithm.  I use to drop 10-15 points every winter when I would switched to snowshoe running. 

• Did you try to run slowly, under your lactate threshold ? I think the algorithm picks the vo2max from these slow runs

• Firstbeat white paper link https://assets.firstbeat.com/firstbeat/uploads/2017/06/white_paper_VO2max_30.6.2017.pdf provides overall details but this is general information and how it actually sets the thresholds within the watch data is hard to pinpoint.  Vo2 Max should not change rapidly but only over a extended period of time - and once you are really fit then you will see limited changes (except, sadly down as you get older or slack off).  Also very important that your Max HR and weight are accurate.  Having a really good race may not impact much if you already have an established baseline.  Also, as mentioned, you need to be using a RUN based activity..  Like most algorithms, it will work better for some than others.  - also may be better with a Chest HR strap rather than the optical (as some have less accurate optical HR results).  

Personally I would not really worry too much about it as it is just one indicator of fitness and given all the parameters, 48, 50, 51 are not that far off.  If you really want an accurate test book some lab time at a clinic.  A couple of yrs ago I was part of a University study and did a TM Vo2Max test with a 52 result while my F3 had me at 51 so close!  It has since dropped to 49, in part because I rarely run on roads.

• VO2Max compares your pace with your heart rate (as a percentage of maxHR). Increased effort during your run will increase your pace, but also given your heart rate is higher, you won't get an increased VO2Max. Also, pacing yourself consistently will give a better 5K, 10K time, even if your fitness hasn't changed.

• aside from "the elevations are not taken into calculations"-Issue (search for vo2 + trail run)....  please not only compare to the very first runs when you got your new device, where your watch had to "break in" on your body-stats. the values in the first one or two weeks are of no real use if you run twice a week. maybe its going faster if you run more often (and vice versa). i saw this after every of my three new 5x i have used so far (due to guarantee issues).