DC-Rainmaker on Garmin

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/competitor-software-instability.html

thats the point making me unsure staying with garmin. 

• I have just completed a floor climb activity with my 5x and I have no pace recorded so no floors climbed. I am sick with this crap. There are no excuses. The support does not exist in my country and this forum does not offer official support either. It is quite normal to have bugs but it is bot normal when you control the hardware part. It is not like with windows that can be installed on a variety of hardware and is impossible to test each and every combination.

I have started with Garmin thinking that they are the best. I am sorry to pe proved wrong. I have already stopped the aquisition of a Garmin bike computer, I will go somwhere else. Less features but also less expectations and less money spent.

• Here's my favourite example. It's been two years since this problem was widely reported. We have a dumb smart scale and Garmin occasionally promises to fix it and consistently doesn't.

• Have you even tried their competition products?
    Like Polar and Suunto? Or just a simple fanboy talking fanboyism stuff?

Garmin, as a leader in the market, should be the best in both hardware and software..

But they are not, at least on the software side. I've been using 5 of their watches in the past 3-4 years and all of them have had bugs. 2 of them hardware ones, and reached the RMA bin. For the others I've waited for beta or prod firmware updates ... but I'm a developer, i can handle bugs and stuff, but for normal users they are a bit shitty at times.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Hoinar

You've been using 5 of Garmin's watches the past 3-4 years and you're asking if someone's comments are based on "fanboyism"?  Yes, Garmin has their issues with bugs, but I'd agree with Paulo_Goulart that overall Garmin is the best.  DCRainmaker even said in his article, "Garmin generally ticks all the boxes better than most other products.".  Are we also just fanboys?  You don't have to take our word for it. Maybe ask someone who owns 5 Garmin watches in the past 3-4 years. Surely they wouldn't have bought 5 inferior watches in that short of time unless they thought they were the best. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to DB00

And don't forget that Garmin won't allow you to feed your weight in from 3rd party apps for from other scales that work 100% of the time and cost 20% of what the buggy Garmin Scales costs.  Garmin don't value weight as an important metric for your health stats.

• And I am now guessing that, as a consequence of this guy complaining about software QA, Garmin has probably decided to stop all new software betas and updates (while they refocus their priorities or sth) even when there are still significant regressions in the current "stable" software for this device which literally make the navigation feature useless. Sigh.

• Garmin does actually allow you to feed your weight to Connect from MyFitnessPal.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to isazi

No actually Garmin stopped that one.  That little avenue of normality was closed off by them.  They actually went out of their way to add software time to stop that working.

• Well don't tell them that it still works for me then :)

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to isazi

Looks like you are correct.  In the past I spent ages tying to get MyFitnesspal to connect to Connect following suggestions that this would work and then read that Garmin stopped it.  I can now get a fresh installation of MFP to send weight fro Connect successfully, but can't get MFP to read weight from Apple Health.  The best solution would be for Garmin to just connect directly to Apple Health.