This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fenix 5, corrosion on 2nd pin

Hy guys. I have a fenix 5 that after 3 months of buying had some corrosion and now look like in the image a posted. The watch was bought in august 2018. Can this be soved by waranty if there is no connexion/charging problem YET? Dont think the life expectancy of an fenix 5 is just 2-3 years... If someone on this forum is from Garmin Romania would help. Thanks!

• Everyone is happy because garmin exchanges devices. but:
    1. The equipment is exchanged for a renewable one and not a new one (the battery will be worn out over the years.) Is the battery replaced?
    2. Replacement of equipment will give something? My watch is six months old and the exact effect that was created is the same as for others - the question of when it will happen again
    I do not really understand the idea of looking after and washing such a watch after each workout - my God is a sports watch -

• Good points, though in my case I've received a brand new boxed watch.

Keeping in mind that it might repeat itself I would be happy to go with a refund for my purchase, but that is not an option and I can't be bothered with reselling and watch hunting on the market (I'm here to do sports not garmin shopping)

• I had the corrosion problem on my 5x almost 1 year ago (4month of usage) and I got it replaced

the issue has not appeared since on the new one

Considering I guess the issue is not salty water related, but rather it's sweat related.

This means it's owner related plus as every one of has has a different sweat pH, plus alimentation may change the sweat pH during time

but I'm using some precautions: I have a silicon case for the watch with emebbed power plug cover

I always remove the plug cover to wash the watch in fresh water, than I keep it open for a while to be sure its' completely dryed, and only after that I reclose the plug

• Hi, I'm also from Romania with a 53* SN and have a similar issue. Can you please tell me the steps I need to follow to get a replacement? I guess I need to know where to call initially, and it would also help if you tell me which distributor you found as I saw another post from you where you said you were already waiting for the replacement :)

Thanks!

• Ok I received the replacement (new, not refurbished) from Garmin, and the second watch i received again has the same problem on the 3rd pin after 3 weeks. Keep in mind I have OCD with my devices, rinsing it with cold water after each usage, completely drying it before charging etc. and this time cause I knew this problem I was ultra careful. It does not appear after swimming in the sea, or a pool just after running, especially long runs above 20km. So its sweat related. 

Sorry i dont buy I am unlucky, or my sweat has a weird PH or whatever. This watch is faulty. 

• That is disturbing. If I were you I would contact Garmin again and tell them that you have lost faith in this model as it seems many watches are affected and what other options available except for the replacement like for like.

• This is what I am actually gonna do. Seriously, I am so frustrated as I really like this watch. But this is completely unacceptable. The only reason I am not completely furious is the fact that indeed they have an excellent support on their products.

Another thing worth mentioning is they when I talked to support they mentioned that they solved this problem after firmware 13.30, something which I didn’t see as I am pretty sure my watch was upgraded after immediately when unboxed and before first usage. 

• Looks like they didn't. Typical Garmin. *sigh*

• However, it is necessary to differentiate the rusty coating - which is normal and should disappear after ordinary wiping. Another thing is the crumbling of the whole contact - as in this case - does anyone after the exchange have this problem again?

• But the rusty coating will eventually damage the contact! Its not normal to have rusty coating, a material should be used that prevents this!