Fenix 6 this year?

When is Garmin likely to replace the Fenix 5 Pus with a new model, such as the Fenix 6?  This summer or are we now looking at spring/summer

2020 before we see an updated model?  Trying to decide whether to purchase the FR 945 to get latest software updates or to wait for new Fenix.  

• Newer watches has a different GPS chipset which is a product of Sony instead of older MTK chipsets. However, this chip is new and software not very mature yet. So don't expect game changinf accuracy. Also almost all GPS watches coming to market this and previous year use the same chipset. Faster processor means faster battery drain. In fact I think Garmin is running the processors at a lower speed than they could do to save power.

•  "no disturb mode" with adjustable timeout is an easy feature to implement via software update on all watches. But will Garmin do that? If you've ever written them about your request, maybe. Actually they're bringing missing Edge 530/830 features to old 1030 series. So why not update the old watches with new features too?

• True - always a trade off with battery and features like display. Maps drain the battery badly when displayed as is. That said, I don't actually use the maps that often because the small display and older eyes - i'll usually just pull out the phone for the larger display and use Garmin explore to see where I am on the trail! Its just nice knowing I have one final backup in the watch with those maps.

Solar charging does sound good too. Be interesting to see how much it can extend the life or charge the watch, if was without a cable for some reason. 

Will see when they come out - anything shiny and new has a +1 purchase appeal anyway :-)

• I just bought a 5 Plus last week, so probably soon. They were just waiting for me to blow the money.

• This what is on the IFA page, the possible launch of Fenix.  They have names for the diffrent Fenix 6 flavors here is an exerpt.

"The next one to arrive looks to be Fenix 6. This one is expected to come in several variants including 6, 6 Pro, 6s, 6s Pro, 6x Pro and 6x Pro Solar. We are expecting the device to land towards the end of August. "  I have heard IFA launch or CES 2020 launch.  I am feeling like it is IFA at this point.  I hope they are able to get the VO2 working and take up less space, im hoping that is the pro designation.

• I wonder if the solar charging is a good thing or bad for the battery, being charged constantly. Maybe it will have 2 batteries, one for the main usb power and something else for the solar power buffer.

• With the CTL rechargeable (solar) batteries that Casio G Shock and Protrek’s use, they have a lifespan of roughly 10-15. Garmin probably won’t use the same because it can also be charged from other power sources. But that’s a general idea of the longevity of a rechargeable watch battery.

• Thats the reason for my idea for two independent power cells. Got a solar powered Casio here too, still working after 15 years. Li Ion batteries usually don't last that long.

• It will fenix 6 end of this month, regarding Info from amazon

• I thought the same for my fenix 3 until it died few months after warranty expired. Garmin repair service just told me to buy a new one (with 30% off for trade in). The worse part is that they told me that the water probably got in!! In water resistant watch!!??