This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart Rate sensor cracking

My Fenix 5x isn't even a year old yet, and it's never been showered with, and I've never used any chemicals or anything like that on it.
The watch has basically been babied, and looks mint/brand new still. But I'm getting these streaks/cracks/bulges (in the glass, not on the glass) on my heart rate sensor.
It doesn't cover the sensor yet, but it's been developing more and more in the last weeks.

Is this the typical heart rate sensor cover failure?

ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1456990.jpg
  • You should not be experiencing that, I’d contact Garmin Support to get an exchange.
  • Yes this is typical sign of developing cracking sensor. Many people experienced that, including myself with my old unit which got replaced due to wrong charging and I also had not used any chemicals neither had swum in the sea. There were many threads, if you search keywords "cracked sensor" you find loads. E.g. https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/fenix-5x/1373658-fenix-5-series-ohr-cracking as just one of many.
    Odie is right, try to get replacement, however count with fact that you will probably get refurbished, not a new unit.
  • borgein yes looks like the fault seen by a number of others and you should go back to Garmin or the retailer. If you had swum in the sea or showered in it you still shouldn't see this type of issue - shower should be within the normal operating range of the Fenix (up to 50C).
  • I don't believe I have ever seen a Garmin reason issued as to why it occurs. Mine is an early one and still looks good (touch wood) - had bug spray, sun screen, sea water, extreme heat and cold, the lot exposed to it. As an outdoor watch should be expected to handle. It just seems the luck of the draw if the curing process was flawed on a particular watch.
  • I’m on my third watch now due to this issue. I’ve contacted Garmin and they say the issue is due to my unique body chemistry... seems like an excuse for they have no idea what’s causing this issue. Anyway, on the third warranty request they were reluctant to replace my watch and told me that the issue is cosmetic and doesn’t impact the watch’s performance or durability. I have the claim on file with them, so we’ll see if this holds true or if they’re full of it.
  • I’m on my third watch now due to this issue. I’ve contacted Garmin and they say the issue is due to my unique body chemistry... seems like an excuse for they have no idea what’s causing this issue. Anyway, on the third warranty request they were reluctant to replace my watch and told me that the issue is cosmetic and doesn’t impact the watch’s performance or durability. I have the claim on file with them, so we’ll see if this holds true or if they’re full of it.

Wow what a bad excuse. Unique body chemistry! If our bodies were highly acidic it would typically not cause CRACKS in plastic. It would typically cause other types of abrasions, not cracks. Hehe. Mine is getting replaced, but it's not nice to own a watch where I have to check and double check the HR sensor for flaws all the time. I wanted a watch that was rugged and reliable, which is why I got the fenix 5X in the first place. And if it can't handle my sweat then I can't really rely on it.

I read about this issue before, and thought it was the first watches that had this problem. Mine is a fairly late production, with the gold contacts and everything, and the watch is less than 1 year old and has barely been used for heavy exercise or mountaineering as originally planned.
  • Hello, my Fenix 5x looks also from suffering this issue. I have contact my local reseller. I am a quite intensive swimmer (pool/open water). But is there a technical clear explanation what the reason is this cracks. Is there a risk that water will damage the internal of the watch?

• You should contact the Garmin Support directly to get a RMA for a replacement. This is a known issue. I have the 3rd Fenix 5X because of this and I‘m wondering how long it will last this time. Typically the cracks will show up after a year. Sadly my Fenix 5X runs out of warranty...

• Well I'm in possession of my 4th Fenix 5x Sapphire. I'm pleased that garmin continues to honor their warranty but frustrated that this keeps happening. My newly refurbished unit looks a little different and has the gold pins on the charging connector, I take these to be good signs that maybe I've received a new enough unit to avoid this issue going forward. Only time will tell...

• This problem has also extended to the Descent Mk1. After speaking with a rep, she stated that it was just “cosmetic” but after pushing the situation a bit further a new watch was offered as an exchange.