Fields Avg/Max Descent; Avg/Max Ascent do not appear to be working for Skiing?

There are 4 fields, Avg Descent, Max Descent, Avg Ascent, Max Ascent. I put them on a watch face for activity = Skiing. They all remained at 0 during the entire activity.

The manual states that they are The average [/max] descent[/ascent] rate since the last reset. Do these fields work for others? Does anybody have an explanation as to why they remained at 0 during the entire activity?

Also, slightly curious to me, all these fields have an upward pointing arrow, whether they say "descent" or "ascent". Can anybody explain why the arrow points upward for both ascent and descent?

Thanks!
  • I just noticed this as well. Modified the Ski activity to be used when Ski Touring and to show Ascent... but it shows 0 in the Ascent field. Descent however works fine. Did you find any resolution for this?

• I added these fields in a custom activity (derived from hiking) when I was trying to find a workaround for the Max/Min Elevation Alerts not working. And I tested it by walking up/down some small elevation which didn’t work. 

one thing I hadn’t tried yet was whether it was ignoring the baro elevation, and was referring to the GPS which was off (which would be stupid so I assume that isn’t the case). 

*** just realised you’re referring to a Fenix. I have an Instinct.