5S Music Widget stuck on "Start Music on Phone"

I have a Fenix 5S. The music widget previously worked, but now doesn't seem to work correctly. When selecting the widget, it says "Start Music on Phone." If I hit the activity start/stop button, the secondary (white color) widget screen opens. I then have the option to play/pause by hitting the activity start/stop button, but I get not other music controls, and instead of the track name being displayed it still displays "Start Music on Phone."

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy.
  • Try opening first music app in your phone. Mine works fine!!
  • Wow, I finally got this to work after messing around for a while with all the Smart Notifications settings in the app. For some reason, the Garmin Connect Mobile app wasn't forcing a notification to tell me that I had not granted the app access to my notifications. After playing around with all the toggles for a while, the app then finally gave me a notification that I had not granted it notification-access permissions. Weird, because I know I had done that before. One of the updates must have reset my permissions.

Consider this solved!
  • I have the same problem! The solution below seems to be for Android devices/phones! On IOS 12.3 (latest to this day), iphone X, pretty much every time I open the music widget, it’s stuck on “Start music on phone”! Of course by this time the music is already playing, but I stop and restart the music app on the phone again! Still, the watch widget is stuck with the same message! 

Apparently the top right button of the watch (play pause) works while the screen is stuck with this message, but I can see no other controls! 

Any solutions for IOS phones?

Thanks!

• Same problem. It’s very sporadic.  Happened today on an 18 mile run.