Fenix 5x Memory Full aka Cannot Save Activity or duplicate an APP

Hi
on my 5x i running latest beta 7.56 starting today i was not longer able to save any new Activity. There were about 350 Activities on the device. After deleting about 50 of the older ones, i was able to save a new Activity again. So my question is there a limit of Space? Free Storage is about 6GB on the device.
The Activity was totally lost.

Also i am not able to duplicate an existing app, as it always get a message that it is not possible to save a new app. I should try to delete a Profil and then try again.

BR Gerald
  • Did you try to add a duplicate app through the "green + add screen, or by copying the activity within the chosen app settings?::::::::::::::::
    There is a limit to the activity storage as you found out :-)
    but I don't know what that is?
    I think the watch is supposed to delete the oldest activity when full, to allow you to save more recent ones,but that didn't seem to happen for you.
    At least all your activities are stored online.
    The 6Gig is partitioned just for map storage.
  • Hi nobodynowhere0815,

The watch should automatically remove old activity files to make room for new ones. How often do you sync your device with Garmin Connect? If you don't sync often, that may be what prevented your watch from clearing space for your new activity.

Thanks,
    Mel
    Garmin Outdoor Software Quality Team
  • Hi
    Thanks for the quick Response
    About the Saving of a new Activity.
    I sync with Garmin Connect Mobile and/or Garmin Express frequently. With the mobile Version surely every day.
    None of the old Activities were removed because i bougt my watch in september and the oldest Activity is from September.
    What is the space for Activities?
    About adding or duplicating apps.
    I tried with the green + add screen.
    I can add an app that isn't available on the app selection, but i cannot add an new one, or duplicate an existing one.
    Something seems to be not ok with my storage space.

Also i noticed one or 2 weeks ago, a problem by sending a course to the watch.
    Garmin Express was not able to sync that course.
    After a few tries it finaly was sent to the watch.

just to tell

thanks Gerald
  • Can you say.... go to the hike app,hold up, scroll down to "copy activity"? Does that work?
  • I added the hike app to the default apps, select it, hold up, scroll down to "copy activity" and got the same message that i should try to delete a profile to save a new one.
    I have actual 22 apps in the selection, incl. 3 favourites.
    German Language as 3 favourite

Schwimmbad
    Radfahren
    Laufen

Trail Run
    Laufband
    Wandern
    Bergsteigen
    Indoor Rad
    MTB
    Freiwasser
    Duathlon
    Triathlon
    Skifahren
    Indoor-Rudern
    Navigieren
    Tracker
    Karte
    7-min
    routeCourse
    Cardio
    Strava Routes
    Gehen

+
    ======

On the Watch in the Sports Folder i habe following .fit files
    see attachement

Can someone tell me what are the default ones.
    Thanks

ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1294701.png
  • Hello
    Problem seems to be solved.
    After deleting some of the older Activities, i am able to save new ones again.
    Can someone tell the total memory for Activites?

The Problem with the duplictating Apps is also gone.
    I removed some of the Apps with Garmin Express Mobil (Connect IQ Apps) and install them again.
    Now it is possible to duplicate an existing App.
    Is there also a Limit an what Limit of free Space is required?
    Thanks
    BR Gerald
  • I had the same issue with v14.2 on my Fenix 5x ... it hasn’t happened on any other software version... this time I only had 46 files, which have all been uploaded to Garmin connect... can you please find out why this is happening as there is no warning. The watch appears to be recording... timer, hr, power, cadence, but just hangs at saving and then you need to reset the watch to get out of the cycle. 

• I'm having the same issues - have you found a solution yet?

• I've been trying to post the solution to this problem around the web to help others since Garmin seems unwilling or unable to fix it despite trying to alert them to the fix

the problem with the Fenix 5 not being able to save or refuses to lock GPS at activity start or duplicating an app is not because the watch runs out of space but rather the fenix can only store so many files regardless of size on the watch

so when people delete an old activity, it then seems to work for a day and then same problem

the actual problem is not in the \GARMIN\ACTIVITY folder but rather the lesser known  \GARMIN\SLEEP  and  \GARMIN\MONITOR  folders which in some cases are left to grow and grow and grow over many months

I've found several hundred very small FIT files in both going back almost a year and then are very outdated old events

So what everyone needs to do is every few months go into those two folders,  any file older than a month or two should be deleted, they've already been imported into garmin-connect

again

\GARMIN\SLEEP

\GARMIN\MONITOR

1. connect the watch to your computer,
    2. go into those folders,
    3. if you see hundreds of FIT files in those two, delete any file older than a couple months (only in those folders)

I do not know why the watch or garmin-connect fails to do this kind of maintenance on it's own, likely a bug

as soon as I did that, my Fenix started behaving normally and not a problem for weeks

feel free to report this as a bug to garmin, maybe if enough people complain they will fix it

I made a thread on reddit about this too just in case the forums go away ever again like before

https://old.reddit.com/r/Garmin/comments/duhrf2/

• Hey Mel! Greetings. I have a question: 

how many hikes and waypoints can i save in my garmin instinct?