This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

5X Sensor Cracks

While charging in unusually dim lighting this morning, I noticed hairline cracks on the face of the HR sensor. Panicking, I did some research and found this has happened before to people (like me) who have not damaged the sensor in any way. I have not dropped, smashed, or otherwise done anything to the underside of the watch. It is on my wrist 99% of the time. Sent an email to Garmin support this morning and hope they can address the issue quickly. I love this thing and hate the idea of being without it. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1284467.jpg
  • Starting to notice some marks on my sensor that may be cracks forming on my 5X that I bought in October. Not sure yet so I'm keeping an eye on it to see if I'll need to contact Garmin about it and arrange to send it in.

Hopefully this is something that they will decide to replace for those affected outside of warranty if needed. This is something that Garmin has done before so it's not unheard of. The original Forerunner 610 had a metal back that had problems with corrosion. I had one of those that was over a year out of warranty and they replaced it with one of the newer ones with a plastic back at no cost to me.
  • I noticed these cracks on my 935 the other week and mailed Garmin. Got the reply that this is physical damage and that I would have to pay for a replacement. Not really buying that... Looks the same as everyone else to me?ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1331686.jpg
  • Just been thinking how lucky ive been not having the cracks develop and guess what?!.... loads of them which are only visible under the right light/angle.

email sent with pics and details... Will await a response with baited breath!

UPDATE: return authorised and product return details received at 09:00 this morning- 1 working day from receipt of my email to them. So far very impressed with customer service.
  • I noticed these cracks on my 935 the other week and mailed Garmin. Got the reply that this is physical damage and that I would have to pay for a replacement. Not really buying that... Looks the same as everyone else to me?

I really hate to be that guy but yours doesn't look like the resin problem the 5/5x users are having. I've now had 3 of mine crack and they start as surface cracks that spread, yours looks like they are shattered from under the resin layer.
  • I really hate to be that guy but yours doesn't look like the resin problem the 5/5x users are having. I've now had 3 of mine crack and they start as surface cracks that spread, yours looks like they are shattered from under the resin layer.

You're right, looking at the pictures in this thread. But the images in this one looks like mine: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...ked-ohr-sensor

(There are so many forum threads on this issue that are closed and all refer to continue in this one.)
  • Hello.
    I noticed several cracks on my F5X as well. Emailed to Garmin and still waiting for a response.
    From Barcelona Spain.
    Updates:
    (10/04/2018): Detailed information required by Garmin to raise a RMA.
    (13/04/2018): F5x delivered to Garmin headquarters in Spain.
    (16/04/2018): F5x sent back from Garmin.
    (18/04/2018): Completely new F5X replacement delivered by Garmin. AMAZING GARMIN support.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1332543.jpg
  • Happening to my Fenix 5x as well.. Owosso, Michigan. email sent
  • Hello from Czech republic, this cracks were discovered today on my FENIX 5X :( No fall, no damage, nothing... I just noticed it by chance. Garmin support was contacted few minutes ago and hope to solve it to my and their satisfaction...:(
  • Brand new Fenix 5x arrived today 1 week after posting the old one back. Came as new unit in sealed box with charging cable.

very happy with customer service here in UK.
  • hi, my fenix 5x also had the sensor with cracks, also the charging socket failed. I sent an email to garmin Spain. I have changed it for a new one without problems. Very good response from technical support.

A greeting.