This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

5X Sensor Cracks

While charging in unusually dim lighting this morning, I noticed hairline cracks on the face of the HR sensor. Panicking, I did some research and found this has happened before to people (like me) who have not damaged the sensor in any way. I have not dropped, smashed, or otherwise done anything to the underside of the watch. It is on my wrist 99% of the time. Sent an email to Garmin support this morning and hope they can address the issue quickly. I love this thing and hate the idea of being without it. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1284467.jpg
  • Interesting a lot of them seem to be in the 2xx range in pictures. Perhaps a bad batch there.
  • While charging in unusually dim lighting this morning, I noticed hairline cracks on the face of the HR sensor. Panicking, I did some research and found this has happened before to people (like me) who have not damaged the sensor in any way. I have not dropped, smashed, or otherwise done anything to the underside of the watch. It is on my wrist 99% of the time. Sent an email to Garmin support this morning and hope they can address the issue quickly. I love this thing and hate the idea of being without it.

It happened me as well. I did not crash the sensor to the wall, ..., I took care. Garmin (our dealer) told me it does not have any affect to the watterproof, but it should not happen. They changed me F5x (because one scratched line went through the optical sensor and it changed my peaks of HR from the sharp shape to the circled shape. Like there was some delay in signal. Before scratch the HR was OK.
  • Thank you for the discussion on this topic. If you see this happening on your watch, please go here and include “Fenix 5 Series OHR Cracking” in the description of the issue. You will then be guided through submitting a repair request.
  • My D2 Charlie has the same issue. I have noticed OHR seems off now while running as well.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1308394.jpg
  • Happen to me as well. At first I was reluctant to send it back if I could not find any issues.
    Then it started to not recording my sleep and then got HR misses.
    Send it back to Garmin. Got a new one with golden connectors three weeks later. Still got 17 months of warranty. :-)
  • I have just got a brand new, gold pin, replacement as well due to the sensor cracks.

People complain about Garmin's customer service and I really have no idea why. I have had 5 (yes five!) F5xs from Garmin, firstly with the cable connection issue, then with the sensor cracks. Obviously it is a pain to have all these replacements and Garmin must hate it, but I really can't see it as anything other than great customer service.
  • So did Anyone write an email and get a answer on this?

Regards,
    Jörg

• I hope it does not occur, for example, from snorkeling in cold water followed by a hot shower, but my new watch (changed by a golden pin due to the connection problems that also had the sensor cracked) will suffer this problem too .
  • I also just got brand new (i.e. "golden") F5X replacement. It is my third instance of this watch. First one had trouble with very low backlight always-on and connectivity issues, the second one had cracked OHR resin. I hope the third one is the one :-)
    I have to commend Garmin's support/service center as very professional, fast, and efficient.