Turn off Wireless LAN?

How am I able to turn off Wireless LAN on the fenix 5S? I don't want to send/receive during the night or on flights.

I've searched the user manual and this forum, but could'nt get a clear answer.

Top Replies

• If you do not want to use Wi-Fi on your Fenix 5 series watch, do not connect it to Wi-Fi. You always have the ability to remove a Wi-Fi network you have prior saved and connected to on your watch…

All Replies

• Hi grossraus

If you go to Settings - Wi-Fi, there is an option for Auto-Upload. Turning this off will mean that your device will only sync through WiFi when you purposefully tell it to. Additionally, the watch will only sync through wireless networks that you have established on the watch. So you do not have to worry about accidental syncs to unknown networks.

You can also set up a shortcut to initiate a WiFi Sync by adding it to your Controls Menu. Press and hold the power button, and once the Controls Menu displays press and hold the Menu Button. Select "Add Controls" and look for Wi-Fi. Now when you open the Controls Menu, you can select the WiFi icon to initiate a sync.

As for during the night, Garmin Devices have a "Do Not Disturb" setting that you can enable. This will prevent you from receiving notifications during the night. You can set this to automatically turn on at night by using the Garmin Connect app and opening your watch's Device Settings. Look for "Do Not Disturb" and turn on "during sleep." You can adjust the time of your Sleep Window under your device's User Settings.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Mel
    Garmin Outdoor SW Quality Team
  • I have also the same question. Can I turn off WiFi in my Garmin Fenix 5+. The battery is running out faster than my previous Fenix 5 model. And another question can I turn off the 3 green  LEDs on the back side?

• The initial response to the 3 yr old OP answers your first question.  The green lights are the Heart Rate monitor which can be turned of under Settings-Sensors-Wrist Heart Rate.  Obviously you will not then get HR data! Neither of these will make much substantial difference in battery life likely (under normal conditions).  Comparing battery between watch models is not likely useful and if you are having substantial battery drain compared to other 5X+ users then you may need to look elsewhere for an issue (after searching the forum).

• Thank you for your answer. Yes it was easy to turn off the Heart rate monitor. You are propably rigth about the battery drain. I still wonder why it is not possible to turn off the wifi if I don't use it at all.

• If you do not want to use Wi-Fi on your Fenix 5 series watch, do not connect it to Wi-Fi. You always have the ability to remove a Wi-Fi network you have prior saved and connected to on your watch.

- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your watch and remove the network.