This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Did my Fenix 5 Optical HRM just burn my skin?! Pics attached

***I already posted this message once today, but then as I was making an edit to my post, it disappeared from the forum. Not sure what happened so I am reposting it. Also, in my original post I attached photos, but due to the file size restrictions of the forum (and maybe some user error on my part), the pictures were just way too tiny to even see. So i have dropped them in an album using Microsoft Onedrive. You can view the full resolution version of the pictures in that album here. https://1drv.ms/a/s!Aq2Z5Oy6o44lpFjCqFbQJSvUiIKA

Original post as follows:

Guys, a very strange thing just happened to me.

I have had my F5 Sapphire for about 3 weeks. I wear it pretty much constantly. The only time I take it off is when I charge it, if i'm switching to a different color band, and sometimes I take it off before I shower.

I have experienced zero problems with burning/irritation...until today.

Here's what happened:

Normally when I take the watch off the green LEDs on the Optical HRM strobe several times and then they turn off.

This time, however, i noticed the green LEDs were just solid...not strobing like they usually do before shutting off. I thought that was strange...I turned the watch off and back on just to see if there was some weird glitch happening but that didn't seem to make any difference (at this point I still hadn't noticed the burn mark on my wrist).

Then I hopped in the shower and that's where I noticed the red spot on my wrist. And then it started itching like crazy.

I have read about skin irritation with these devices before related to people never taking them off, not keeping them clean, not drying off the wrist/watch after getting it wet and then wearing it wet for too long...etc. But the strange behavior of the LEDs on the optical HRM that are accompanying the mark on my wrist makes me think there is something else going on here.

Another weird thing:

The last 4 hours of heart rate data are now completely missing from the watch (see pic). I have had the watch off for maybe an hour at this point so the data should definitely be there. The data is still there in Garmin Connect but it has vanished from the watch. I can still see my steps and last activity details on the watch, but no heart rate history.

In summary: It seems there was a glitch with the optical HRM that caused the LED's to be on constantly, rather than flickering, and the intensity of the light burned my skin.

Is anyone else having issues today??
  • Thanks guys!

That makes perfect sense about the HR sampling vs. measuring every beat.
  • I think the rash is caused by the very smooth surface of the OHR sensor causing the skin to almost stick to it, sweat can't evaporate and it causes something similar to heat rash. The salt in sweat irritates the skin even more, see: http://www.ibtimes.com/yes-your-apple-watch-giving-you-rash-heres-what-do-about-it-1909867 The partial solution for me is never showering with the watch (Forerunner 935) and alternating wrists, and also switching between the outside and the inside of the wrists. Bit cumbersome though. I wore my Fenix 3 24/7 for 2 years with no issues whatsoever.
    I'm thinking of covering the bottom of the watch (obviously sacrificing the OHR functionality) with one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hirsch-No-Allergy-Watch-Bottom-Case-Back-Cover-/272072758387?rmvSB=true, but maybe the problem is more the shape than the surface.
  • i got burnt using a whoop on my bicep it was fine on my wrist though i had a huge blister where the whoop was and i had red bumps on my other arm i know that users get burned with optical hrm the part of your skin may be more sensitive. i had a basis peak and my wife did too after a month she started to have a red rash under the watch she did alternate hands at night and washed her arms good every time she would put the watch back, the rash would re appear exactly under the beams you may be allergic keep an eye on it
  • Looking at the pics i think you are wearing your F5 too tight also. I don't know how other people wear theirs but a watch shouldn't imprint on the skin like that imo. Also do not shave that area of the arm to get a better reading of the HR, it will only cause problems when hair starts to grow back.
    My 2c :)

• ***I already posted this message once today, but then as I was making an edit to my post, it disappeared from the forum. Not sure what happened so I am reposting it. Also, in my original post I attached photos, but due to the file size restrictions of the forum (and maybe some user error on my part), the pictures were just way too tiny to even see. So i have dropped them in an album using Microsoft Onedrive. You can view the full resolution version of the pictures in that album here. https://1drv.ms/a/s!Aq2Z5Oy6o44lpFjCqFbQJSvUiIKA

Is anyone else having issues today??

I am. See attached photos.

I'm not sure what causes this, but its not from 'rubbing' or my other sports watches would have caused the same type of burn. It is also not from dirt because I clean it meticulously after each use. I find it hard to believe it is the sensor, but I'm at a loss for what caused this burn.

I have my 935 on the other wrist to see what happens.
  • Not sure about your issue, but could be due to the sensor sticking to the skin, skin can't sweat, it turns into a kind of 'heat rash'. Solution to that particular problem: stop using OHR and use one-piece nato strap, or rotate watch (outside/inside wrist, to/from other wrist).
  • I am. See attached photos.

I'm not sure what causes this, but its not from 'rubbing' or my other sports watches would have caused the same type of burn. It is also not from dirt because I clean it meticulously after each use. I find it hard to believe it is the sensor, but I'm at a loss for what caused this burn.

I have my 935 on the other wrist to see what happens.

If it was a burn then it would be painful to touch. Is it painful to touch like sunburn?
    If not then either you aren't cleaning the watch as well as you think or you are wearing it too tight and your skin under the sensor isn't getting a chance to "breathe".
    Also it's hard to tell from the poor resolution photo but have you shaved the area where the sensor sits?

You may need to visit a dermatologist to get a professional opinion, but it seems highly unlikely this is a true burn.
  • Hi Brett,

It's not a burn, just a skin reaction.
    Everybody's skin is different, but having something in such close contact for prolonged periods of time can cause inflammation in the skin - which is what this is.

Things to do to reduce the risk of this happening again:
    - Take watch off at night
    - Whenever skin or watch gets wet, take it off, dry it, and leave it off for half an hour or so (including after exercise)
    - Loosen strap slightly during regular wearing to allow air between the watch and skin occasionally, and to allow watch to slide around over surface of skin, reducing contact time with one particular patch of skin
    - Avoid washing that patch of skin too frequently, or using soaps. Don't try to 'scrub' it clean.
    - To make this episode settle sooner you could try a steroid cream (e.g. 1% hydrocortisone) twice daily for up to a week

Ive owned a few garmin devices before and not had a reaction like this until I got my fenix 5, and then I had a similar reaction myself over summer. It went away after I stopped wearing the watch at night, and was very careful to take it off and leave it off for half an hour or so after I showered, and it took a couple of weeks but then settled down. I didn't bother using any steroid cream, but it will likely settle sooner if you do.

Disclosure: I am a doctor
  • It's chafing. I've had skin irritation in the same spot many times in my life. Mix salty man sweat and something rubbing on your body and you get a skin irritation. Leave your watch off over night, let your skin dry after a shower, switch your watch to the other wrist for a few days, loosen your wrist strap when it tightens throughout the day (your skin swells and shrinks with the temperature, humidity, your hydration, etc. so loosen and tighten it to where it's not snug.

Basically everything the doc above me said. If it was a burn you would be complaining a lot more than this lol
  • It looks like this is still a problem. I have been having the same problem. I don't even wear the watch for too long. Probably 8hrs a day. Still the same problem.