This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is 'Track Me'?

And does it have anything to do with Live Track?

And why can I not uninstall it? (I try in the Connect app but it persists)
  • Ugh, same question here. I'll just try and activate it when I bike home from work and see if that clears anything up :)

I only see it mentioned in the dcrainmaker review (but just as a 'has it', no explanation) but can't find anything about it anywhere else. Maybe some live tracking or broadcasting app so others can follow you?
  • Yes it's a bit confusing but as far as I can tell it's unrelated to live tracking. It's just another "app" with some preset screens including a map.
  • Yes it's a bit confusing but as far as I can tell it's unrelated to live tracking. It's just another "app" with some preset screens including a map.

Ah cheers, also asked the same in the dcrainmaker review and he was kind enough to respond as well... His answer:

It’s basically just a simple sport mode that includes the ‘map’ view (so breadcrumb on non-5X units, or with maps on 5X units).

I suspect Garmin made it to simply keep things simple to explain to someone in a support/store/etc scenario as to what mode to use to get a map while doing an activity.
  • then the map app is juts a stationary map?

thanks for explanatin. I tried it, yeah it seems like an interesting mode to display the mapping capability.
    what would the "Map" app do then. It didnt seem to have options (no pan/zoon) just a fixed view on the map of my location.
  • Zoom/pan is available by going to the menu (long press middle left button).
  • Track Me is really redundant

I'm not sure why anyone would use just Track Me. I just added Map as a data field to my Run, Walk and other activities. Seems to me it would be a default data field but it's easy to add.
  • Wait, it's not the "NSA follow me" mode?
  • And does it have anything to do with Live Track?

And why can I not uninstall it? (I try in the Connect app but it persists)

the install/uninstall in the app is really just for visible and not visible on your apps list.
  • I'm not sure why anyone would use just Track Me. I just added Map as a data field to my Run, Walk and other activities. Seems to me it would be a default data field but it's easy to add.

If you do only Track Me, and not any other activity in conjunction with it, does anything get synced to Garmin Connect as an activity? In other words, does Track Me save any data, track log, etc? Or is it literally point-in-time tracking without recording anything?
  • I used it today for a motorcycle ride. I assume it is for when you want to be tracked but don’t want to get false credit for exercise activity when you are just riding a ferry or something.