UPDATED

Official size and measured Lug to Lug :
- F5s : 42mm x 14.5mm / Lug to Lug : 52mm
- F5 : 47mm x 15.5mm / Lug to Lug : 56mm
- F5x : 51mm x 17.5mm / Lug to Lug : 58 mm

- FR235/630 : 45mm x 11.7mm / Lug to Lug : 50mm
- FR735xt : 44,5mm x 11.9mm / Lug to Lug : 48mm

- FR935 : 47mm x 13.9mm / Lug to Lug : 53mm

This might not tell the whole story though as the lugs seem to stick out quite a lot on the F5s and that contributes to how the watch will "sit" on the wrist.

I've measured the lug to lug length at 56mm on the F5 (50mm on the FR235), can anyone with a 5s or a 5x do the same ?

• Thanks, so the lugs don't stick out as much as it seems then, 5mm on the F5s vs 4.5mm on F5
  • Thanks, so the lugs don't stick out as much as it seems then, 5mm on the F5s vs 4.5mm on F5

If you think about it the 5mm lugs on the 42mm 5S vs. the 4.5mm lugs on the 47mm 5 means that the lugs proportionality are significantly larger on the 5S as a percentage of overall size which creates the impression of the bat ears. I do wish it was a bit less but the 5S is a beautiful watch and still my obvious choice for my smaller wrist.
  • Good point ;-) So that would be 5/42=12% vs 4.5/47=10%. Same goes for the depth to diameter ratio.

Still for smaller wrists 52mm will be more manageable than 56mm.
  • Good point ;-) So that would be 5/42=12% vs 4.5/47=10%. Same goes for the depth to diameter ratio.

Still for smaller wrists 52mm will be more manageable than 56mm.

well really i'd look at it like this...

5S: 10/52 (both lugs/total dimensions including lugs) = 19.2% (lugs % of the total length of the watch)
    5: 9/56 = 16.1%

Bottom line is although the lugs are essentially the same for the 5S as the 5, they look even longer because they represent more of the total length. The classic "style" rule for watches is that lugs should not extend past the width of your wrist so yes, 52mm is better than 56mm for small wrists but it could have been better had the lugs been a smaller percentage on the 5S (and looked a bit better) but I think the new QuickFit system is something of a impediment to that.
  • Interesting thread.

My opinion and observation is also that the lugs on the f5s looks a tad too long.
    I think the f5s is an excellent and well balanced watch, but would get another few stars from me if the lugs pointed more downward like the 735xt, to give the feeling that the watch wraps around your wrist. On skinny wrists these long and protruding lugs look a bit odd.

But otherwise well balanced and a relief size wise for those not wanting to knock over everything with heavier and bigger watches.
  • Interesting thread.

... get another few stars from me if the lugs pointed more downward like the 735xt, to give the feeling that the watch wraps around your wrist. On skinny wrists these long and protruding lugs look a bit odd.

This. I said in another thread, I have a skeleton watch with almost the same exact dimensions as the F5S, but the lugs curve down as you said.
  • This. I said in another thread, I have a skeleton watch with almost the same exact dimensions as the F5S, but the lugs curve down as you said.

i think the larger lug design that exists across the Fenix 5 lineup and looks most pronounced on the smaller 5S (because the lugs are essentially not smaller than on the 5 when the rest of the watch got smaller) is due to the QuickFit design for bands, it may have limited them from using more form fitting bands with smaller lugs.
  • i think the larger lug design that exists across the Fenix 5 lineup and looks most pronounced on the smaller 5S (because the lugs are essentially not smaller than on the 5 when the rest of the watch got smaller) is due to the QuickFit design for bands, it may have limited them from using more form fitting bands with smaller lugs.

I think (as others have alluded to), one of the key issues is that whilst the lugs on the 5 start to "curl" downwards around the wrist, the lugs on the 5S don't (at least not as much). Therefore, although the 5S is smaller, the length of the watch before it starts to conform to the shape of the wrist is relatively longer on the 5S, meaning the difference in actual fit between the 5 and the 5S is less than the dimensions on paper suggest.

My theory is that Garmin have done this because if the lugs drop too soon on the wrist, they'll have the effect of lifting the oHR sensor away from the wrist resulting in bad readings (good skin contact is critical, hence the silicon watch bands). So even though the 5S is aimed at smaller wrists, Garmin still didn't want people with larger wrists who preferred the smaller form buying it then complaining about the oHR quality; but that's a shame for those who wanted a smaller watch that looked less cumbersome on their smaller wrists. That is just my theory though.

As it is, I don't think the difference in perceived size on wrist between the 5 and the 5S is as much as the physical difference in dimensions, although the increased thickness and chunkier design do give the 5 a "big watch" look.
  • Good points everyone.
    The question is, and only time will tell:
    In the long run, what would users prefer: Quickfit bands compromising the watch design, or normal bands, but a better lug design and overall neater / smaller appearance?

I for one would prefer more subtle lugs.
    At the moment I have a leather strap on my 5s and I don't mind taking the slightly longer route to change bands.
    The traditional lug bar with screws is already a great design, and I won't miss the quick fit bands if the lug was designed differently.

But then if the real reason for the current lug design is because of the oHR, then I guess it is going to stay that way going forward.

By the way, I've seen the 5s on small wrists, and due to the lugs protruding over the wrist, it still looks as odd as the f3 on a small wrist.
    The 735xt on the same small wrist looks much better thanks to the 735 lug design.
    The question is if the smaller f5s size is compromised by the lugs which has the opposite effect of what was the original aim with the overall design of the f5s?

Just sharing some thoughts. Like I said I am fairly happy with the f5s!