No vibrations for phone notifications and activity alerts

Just curious if everyone with the Fenix 5 are experiencing vibration issues or if its certain models or what not.
I have the 5 and the vibration works when the alarm goes off but not for phone notifications or activity alerts (run/walk, pace etc...).
As I have seen in some other threads the notifications work for a bit, then once a sync happens it turns off.

I sent an email to Garmin regarding this so hopefully it will be a quick fix.
  • Here's a longer thread about it: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?371871-Notification-issue-on-new-5-possibly/page2

My Vibration setting keeps getting disabled when I sync the watch. It looks like a firmware bug to me.

Here's what I do to fix it temporarily. On the watch itself, go to:
    Settings -> System -> Sounds -> Vibration -> Turn on
  • I only sync via BT to Connect on my iPhone and haven't had this issue. Is there something I'm missing out on by not also syncing to my computer (which seems to cause this issue)?
  • I only sync via the mobile connect app over bluetooth. As far as I'm aware, you're not missing out on anything by only using the GC mobile app.

I'm able to consistently reproduce the issue over bluetooth sync from the Garmin Connect Android mobile app. I'm not sure if the iPhone app will reproduce the issue.

Steps for me to reproduce the issue:
    1. Open the connect moble app.
    2. Go into device setting and change any setting (doesn't need to be related to notificiations).
    3. Hit "Sync Now"
    4. Go into the system settings on the Fenix itself, and the vibration setting will now be "off". (Settings -> System -> Sounds -> Vibration)
  • Seems to be only IOS users having an issue
  • This problem existed with the F3 and Garmin Connect mobile for a time also. The GCM and the F3 weren't syncing both ways and GCM would always overwrite the watch settings. I can't remember whether it was a GCM or Firmware update that fixed it.

It happens with the 12/24hr time settings and presumably other settings too.

From GC Mobile, go into: Garmin Devices ->Fenix 5->Device Settings->Tones and make the necessary adjustments.

These should then sync to the watch and stay put.

I'm sure Garmin will sort it out shortly.
  • Unfortunately I don't think it's that easy. I had the GCM overwrite issues in the past with my FR235 when the bug existed in GCM. I think this problem is different.

My settings are fine in GC mobile. My settings are fine on the watch. Everything works as expected.
    If you go back into GC mobile app and make any setting updates at all, for example change the "move alert" setting, or changing your heart rate zones, etc. Then sync, and the vibrations will be turned off on the watch, even though the GCM settings are still fine.

It's almost as if GCM is missing the vibration setting and the watch is defaulting to OFF after the sync.
  • I am using iOS and never initiate sync from within the Connect app - I just allow syncs to happen - and have never had this issue
  • Unfortunately I don't think it's that easy. I had the GCM overwrite issues in the past with my FR235 when the bug existed in GCM. I think this problem is different.

My settings are fine in GC mobile. My settings are fine on the watch. Everything works as expected.
    If you go back into GC mobile app and make any setting updates at all, for example change the "move alert" setting, or changing your heart rate zones, etc. Then sync, and the vibrations will be turned off on the watch, even though the GCM settings are still fine.

It's almost as if GCM is missing the vibration setting and the watch is defaulting to OFF after the sync.

Scott, for what it's worth -- I have synced dozens of times now, both via WiFi from the watch and directly with GCM over bluetooth, and my vibration setting has never turned off. I'm only pointing this out to say that there is SOME sequence of events that cause this issue to NOT occur. Who knows what I did to get lucky on this one.
  • I only sync via the mobile connect app over bluetooth. As far as I'm aware, you're not missing out on anything by only using the GC mobile app.

I'm able to consistently reproduce the issue over bluetooth sync from the Garmin Connect Android mobile app. I'm not sure if the iPhone app will reproduce the issue.

Steps for me to reproduce the issue:
    1. Open the connect moble app.
    2. Go into device setting and change any setting (doesn't need to be related to notificiations).
    3. Hit "Sync Now"
    4. Go into the system settings on the Fenix itself, and the vibration setting will now be "off". (Settings -> System -> Sounds -> Vibration)

I am suffering from inconsistencies problem.

At step 4, sometimes it is OFF and sometimes it is ON. So for me it is kinda lottery type of thing !
  • If it's iOS only then it will be a GCM issue. Let's hope they release a new version soon.

CW