fenix 5X Plus destroyed by 19.10 upgrade

A few weeks ago my 5X+ updated itself to 19.10 (one of those overnight while you sleep updates). A message was on the screen about an error during the update (don’t recall the details). Since then the watch has been a total basket case. The versions post-update are:

V19.10 (6e6757e) 
GPS: 2.70 
Wi-Fi: 655.35 <———    
CiQ: 3.3.3 
BMX: 0.4.3 
WHR: 20.03.32 
BLE/ANT/BT: 6.15 
Sensor Hub: 2.41 
ETE: 5.3.3.11 
THA: 1.3.0.1 
Emoji: 2.2.7

Note that WiFi version. WiFi is one of the things that no longer works. It wouldn’t connect to the networks it used know, and now that has been through every known reset it doesn’t know any network and can’t find any. 

More severe than the WiFi issue is that it also won’t connect to my PC via the USB cable. The PC recognizes that a Garmin “hub” is connected, but Express doesn’t see the watch at all. The probable reason for this is that every time I connect the 5X+ to my PC, its screen turns green showing the charge percentage and the USB connection icon, but it is totally frozen. Unplugging it leaves it frozen in the same state. The only thing that works is holding the “light” button for about 20 seconds to force it to turn off.

Turning it on is problematic. Sometimes it gets as far as Loading Maps… and never progresses; that generally requires another forced shutdown. Other times it shows a bar graph along with Loading Maps; the bar graph occasionally changes, and about 35-40 minutes (not seconds) later it is finally up and running.

After it has booted successfully it behaves fairly normally, except it can’t see any WiFi networks, and if you try to have an app (GCM or Explore) instigate looking for a network, the watch hangs and you have to deal with trying to get it rebooted.

Since it cannot connect to the outside world via WiFi or USB I don’t see how it is ever going to do another firmware update and have any hope for a normal life. Maybe it’s time to deposit it in the landfill?

• Have you tried changing the cable? sometimes they become the root cause of battery and watch damage.

I magnified this to 20x after realizing it malfunctioned and charged jerkily.

As soon as you can see it as mass storage, load the old firmware.

and try again to update it to 19 with garmin express

• I have two cables. They both work to charge the 5X+ via a wall charger and even when connected to the PC. But connecting it to the PC causes the watch to hang, so even though its low-level charging circuitry is working, the higher-level firmware is hung. The PC recognizes the USB connection (i.e., plays sounds and shows a Garmin hub connected in the device manager), but it doesn’t recognize a mass storage device either through Express or the Windows file explorer.

So without USB or WiFi working I don’t think it is ever going to do another firmware update. 

• The wi-fi update can download it from G.Connect via the bluetooth.

I installed the firmware 19.10 from garmin express, but I found the wi-fi update after a few days, going to the watch settings > system > software update.

The watch immediately installed wifi 4.01 without showing if updates were active.

seems like the only way forward for your watch.

• Before the 19.10 update error (WiFi v655.35) both of my cables were working fine. Now the watch hangs when connected to USB.

In watch settings > system > software update, it just shows that auto-update is enabled. From GCM I know it used to be capable of sending an update via Bluetooth, but I don't know how to force it do an update or check to see if it is up to date.

In the Explore app it indicates that a v32.00 update is available (related to daylight saving time in MX and Greenland), and it shows the WiFi 4.01 update is available. It shows there three ways to update it:

1. Express - doesn't work for me
    2. GCM - could work, but don't know how to make it happen
    3. WiFi - doesn't work for me, and trying to add a WiFi network from the app hangs the watch.
  • The wi-fi is corrupted, you can't use it or even configure it.

It's a great news that express has notified the 4.01 update, so, it can do it via android garmin connect.

I think it will download it like my watch did, but the installation won't be automatic, you'll have to repeat that step in a few days. Also open Connect IQ, try downloading some watch faces and widgets. I think they can speed up wi-fi 4.01 download

• Thanks for the info. But in this case, it can't be done that way because there is no way to access any folder on the 5X+ since connecting it to a PC USB port causes the watch to hang immediately.