Fenix 5 Plus series - 18.44 Public Beta

Hello Fenix 5/5S/5X Plus users,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 5 Plus series is now available! 

The links to download the software update are listed below. Select the link specific to your watch model. Please note that your computer will download a .zip file when you open this link. This zip contains the software update, as well as a folder with the file necessary for backdating software, and instructions for this process if you choose to do so. Remember, backdating software will reset all settings.

Use these links to download the zip for your watch to update to version 18.44:

Fenix 5S Plus
Fenix 5 Plus
Fenix 5X Plus

Instructions for updating software:

1. Download the .zip specific to your computer, using the links above.
  2. Connect the watch to your computer.
  3. Copy the included gupdate.gcd file (from the System_x.xx folder) to the Primary\Garmin folder on your watch.
  4. If there is a WiFi_v*** folder, place the gupXXXX.gcd file into the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of the device. 
  5. Disconnect the watch from the computer and it will prompt you to update software.

18.44 Change Log Notes:

• Added new alert to inform user that Wi-Fi networks configured to WEP security are no longer supported.
  • Added new tips to indicate which activities support incident detection.
  • Fixed an altimeter calibration issue with Jumpmaster activity.
  • Fixed issue with Pulse Ox when using Connect IQ app.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 2.70
Wi-Fi: 4.01
BLE/ANT: 6.15
SNS: 2.41

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible with APAC region devices.

Please email the Garmin Outdoor Quality Team if you find issues in software after installing this update: [email protected]

• But what about crash/reboot every time when attempting to download HR data after activity from a HRM-TRI ?

Or occasional crashes after trying to save a location sometimes?

And how about gesture sensitivity settings for users with possibly buggy/broken watch motion sensors?

• thank you for your report.  Would you mind sharing the err_log.txt and RAM.txt from your watch?  These files may lead us to a resolution for the crashes you are reporting above.  If so, you can find these files in the GARMIN/DEBUG folder of your watch.  Once you locate those files, you can upload them to the following, secure, location: supportforms.garmin.com/.../

• Yes happy to share them, actually sent every debug file I could find to the two different beta emails listed on the forums last week.

It goes through download and processing usually, but immediately after processing does a hard reboot

There does appear to be a new FIT file with updated calories and training load and the HR data has been manipulated so I guess it is trying to do it properly

But unlike the old "non plus" Fenix5 which appends the HRDATA fit file to the main fit file that doesn't happen.

Maybe that's the crash, it is trying to append the FIT file, maybe the different flash storage type on the PLUS model and the long filenames is causing some kind of bug/crash

• Thank you for sending in all of the information and files for us to look into the crash. We are attempting to reproduce this issue, but the logs do show that this took place on version 18.42. Have you encountered this crash since updating to 18.44?

• Yes it happened on 18.42 and persisted through 18.44, I thought I sent the newest logs, my emails had the 18.42 logs but the web form I thought I sent 18.44

Now that I have used a 6-series I can see it -does- work properly on the 6 and I can see what is supposed to happen, it takes the "long" filename, rewrites the HR data inside the FIT file to new values (updates load and calories) and then writes the old-school "short" filename version of the file with HR data in FIT format chained to the new FIT.

So the 5-plus does the rewrite of the HR data inside the FIT file to the new values and load/calories updated BUT it never writes the new short-name FIT file with the chained data (like the 6 series does properly)

That is where it must crash, when it tries to write the new file with the chained data.

When I extract  2022-12-09-06-19-22.fit I can see

garmin_product (4-1-UINT16, original name: product): fenix5s_plus (2900)
      software_version (5-1-UINT16): 18.44 (1844)

garmin_product (4-1-UINT16, original name: product): hrm_tri (1743)
      software_version (5-1-UINT16): 43.00 (4300)

And the way I know I downloaded the HR data from the HRM-TRI for that activity is because the calories changed from 579 to 576  (9 to 6) 

Subtle but that is the way it changes when it finds missing heartbeats from the ANT broadcast vs local download (sometimes the difference is much more dramatic)

• I have passed all of this along to the team, thank you!

• It's the same with me. Terminating connection with HR-PRO. Reconnection is not possible. I have to remove and add again via search...