Map track error (straight lines in track file) but distance normal.

Hi All, 

Just curious if anyone else has had any activities where the resulting track on the map exhibits a section that is straight. Like as if the activity was paused, kept running for some distance and then un-paused? The distance for the activity is correct but the track file is not true to the actual path I've taken. I've attached a screenshot as an example. 

I've submitted a support case with Garmin and have sent them links to the activities (there has been a few this year) and it seems completely random. It's clearly a tricky one as it has been many weeks and I have not gotten a response yet. 

Not complaining by any means just curious if anyone else is seeing this?

Craig. 

• Glad i'm not the only one with this issue. Ive had the same thing happen with my 5x plus. Other metrics are normal, and distance is accurate, but the map is messed up and has a straight line in one spot. What is interesting is that while I was doing the activity, the map on the watch was normal. I was using the navigation feature and I remember seeing that part of the map on the watch shown correctly. It was only after I saved the activity that it was then messed up on the garmin app and was even messed up on the watch itself after it was previously ok. What is even weirder is that the laps are still in the right spot. They are shown to be exactly where the route should have been, but instead there is the straight line off to the side which can be seen in this Photo

• I do have one hypothesis as to what caused this error. It looks like the straight line occurs during the part of the activity where I enabled ultratrac. I had it enabled for a while to save battery and then disabled it and went back to the regular gps mode towards the end. The straight line reflects almost exactly the same points in time when I had it enabled. 

• If you enabled ultratrac then straight lines are not errors.  It will only record data once per minute so if you are running it will only plot every 250m or so depending on your speed.  It really should only be used for "ultra" events - the battery is perfectly capable of doing 2 marathons on a single charge with every-second recording.

• Pretty sure it’s an error. (see link to photo in original post.) For context I was doing a hike over multiple days and ended up with about 18 hours of recording time. There is just one straight line from the point where I enabled it and disabled it. 

• I'm getting odd straight line sections with my 6X Pro. I'm under an open sky with data recording set to 'every second' and I've tried [GPS + GLONASS] as well as [GPS + Galileo}. I haven't found a cure. It happens when I'm moving very slowly and may persist for a short time after I've been moving slowly. It happens often so it could be a hardware/firmware issue. Others are experiencing the issue too.

Currently talking to Garmin support to try and find out what's causing it. More here: forums.garmin.com/.../1369975