Fenix 5x Plus turns off when connect to computer or is stuck in boot loop

I have a problem with my Fenix 5x+ for quite some time when it comes to connecting with any of my computers:

• It shows for 1 or 2 seconds the charging percentage -> the computer makes a beep like it does when a new hardware is connected -> the watch turns off and nothing to be found on the computer
  • It shows for 1 or 2 seconds the charging percentage -> the computer makes a beep like it does when a new hardware is connected -> the watch turns off and restarts, just to turn off restart again, and again... till eventually it doesn't restart anymore

I tried all types of soft reset and hard reset already multiple times. First i thought it only happens when updating the watch software (every time i tried updated i was already scared...) but it seems even without doing so the problems happen. Sometimes i try to plug in restart, plug out restart, plug in again and eventually the watch doesn't shut down and the computer recognizes it... really painful.

I am extremely frustrated as i really liked the watch (unfortunately no warranty anymore). I was thinking that i maybe just was unlucky and got a faulty watch but now reading through the forums it seems i am not the only one. I was even considering buying a Fenix 6 but seems even on the new model people have boot loop problems or watch automatically turning off. Quite a shame i have to say considering such an expensive watch and it seems this issues should be quite basic and not happening at all. I also don't know is it a hardware or software issue. 

So that's my last try to see if there is a fix. Otherwise no choice rather than move on to other brands and warn people not to get the same painful experience

• To check if the problem is with the watch or elsewhere: have you tried with another USB cable and cleaning the contact points on the watch? Does the watch charge normally when connected to a charger? Do other USB devices work OK on the same port on your computer? What types of computers have you tried to connect it to?

• I tried another USB cable -> i order a cable to see if that's the source of the problem but also the same issue

I tried to clean the contact points -> same problem. as i wrote before it seems a bit random. the watch/computer recognize that there is a connection. Most of the time the watch is stuck in boot loop or just shuts down when connecting. However, after multiple attempts to establish a connection, sometimes it really works. So i was always wondering is it a hardware or software issue (till now i still have no clue)

The watch does charge normal when connecting with a charger, no issue at all

Other USB devices have no issue. It's also not always the same port. I have the problem with the watch connecting to an USB port on ALL my computers, so a problem with the USB on the computer i can rule out.

I connected it to 2 different notebooks and a desktop, all with Windows 10

That's an extremely annoying and disappointing problem on a watch with this prize label. What's even more annoying is that connecting a device via USB cable to a computer should be a very simple/standard process which is done on million other devices too. I cannot understand that Garmin cannot fix this issue as it seems to be going through different watch series already... For me i would be grateful to understand if i need to dump the watch as electronic scrap (hardware problem) or if there is any software glitch which could be fixed.

• I don't want to worry you needlessly.. my Fenix 5 Plus always connects just fine, USB is the only data transfer I use, every few days, but I've had a Forerunner 935 with symptoms like yours, and that was replaced under warranty by Garmin. Really hope your issue has software cause!

So hopefully you can find out more. I'm a Linux user, no Win10 experience, but there has to be a way in Win10 to view errors, in an event log that you can review. Can you look up what errors Windows logs?

Is Garmin Connect installed on all of your PC's? Is there a difference between PC's with and without it?

And if you get the watch connected for long enough, can you send me one of the logs in EVNTLOGS in a PM? It's a text file. As far as I know it does not contain any personal data, but you may want to make sure of that and review before sharing.

If nothing obvious comes out of this, deleting maps and files on the watch and then reinstalling could be a next step.

• I've had this problem before and discovered USBDeview. which is a free standalone capable of killing 'usb caches'

It's worked for me and have had no problems since I used it. I have a feeling is windows only

Nick

• A bit of an update:

The problem is on all PC's.

I am not an IT guy so have not much clue about eventlogs etc.

I tried USBDView but same issue.

As i wrote before sometimes the watch doesn't shut down when connecting to the computer so i observed one thing: It seems it makes a difference WHEN i connect the usb cable to the watch. When the watch is re-booting i plug it in exactly when it loads the FIT files and before loading the maps. Still need to do more testing but so far this was often successful. Still curious if this is an hardware issue (maybe worn out contact points) or a software issue... There are zero problems charging the watch with a normal charger, so no connection to any computer

A bit a success as i still quite like the watch. Garmin was no help so far.

• Same problem here for over a year. Have tried 1000 ways and no luck. Extremely frustrating that Garmin does nothing about considering the prce tag on this watch. I will switch back to Suunto. I am beyond annoyed