Settings to preserve battery.

I've just picked up a second-hand Fenix 5 Plus and need some advice on settings to preserve battery life while remaining useful for recording runs etc.  At the moment, the watch is sending voice prompts to my phone (I have my phone connected to bluetooth headphones so can hear the voice prompts) which I'm presuming must mean the watch is continuously synching to my phone and eating away at my battery life.  ideally I want to be able to track my run with GPS and HR recorded and for it then to synch to Garmin Connect on my phone once I save the activity.  I was on a run yesterday and after 10K the battery had gone from 100% to 39% which wasn't great.

Obviously, I'm aware that as it's a 2nd hand watch the battery may not be in optimal condition so I may see about getting it replaced but if I can increase battery life for the time being that would be great.  I'm doing the London Marathon next year so want to be able to have the whole thing recorded for that.

• My 5 Plus is also second-hand and I have used it for 1 year. It can take a couple of charge/discharge cycles for the watch to "recover" if it has been stored empty by the previous owner.

My battery saving settings: phone connection off, "smart" recording instead of every second, ANT+ heart rate strap instead of built-in optical wrist HRM (which may not make a difference, not sure).

Here is my post with battery info from a while back when I considered replacing the battery in mine, but I make less use of the watch now, and won't need a new battery for the time being. There's good info on how to care for lithium-ion batteries here.

• Cheers for that.  I'll have a look at the settings you suggest.  I've got a Garmin chest strap too that I use on my bike so will give it a go to see what difference it makes.