Extremely Sluggish Map Operations With Europe 2020.20

After an initially failed map upgrade that completed during the second attempt my F5+ running 13.0, GPS 2.7, Wi-Fi 2.5,CIQ 3.1.8 has become extremely sluggish during all map operations. I tried re-installing the maps using Garmin Express which finished without an error message and even did a complete factory reset yesterday. The problem remains, however: During booting, I am stuck for approx. 3min in the "Loading map" screen and zooming in and out during an active usually takes north of one minute.

It is a bit frustrating since so far the watch has performed quite well.

I don't think the factory reset clears out the map directory and suspect that I do have bits and pieces lying around from a failed install. What files do I need to ensure that I am using the Topo map and where are they located? Just in the GARMIN folder? How do I know which files are related to map information and can be deleted from the GARMIN folder? Is there anything else I can do to truly reset the watch to a fresh state?

Thanks for any help,

Chris 

• The first time this happened to me it took multiple attempts at seemingly doing the same thing and then it just worked. I would delete them all again and redownload from garmin express but take the files out of the folder on the PC rather than letting garmin do it. I use talky toaster but the 2020.20 ones are also on and work fine. 

• The lack of golf maps won't hurt anything. I do not have them on.

• Just to add. At one time I did somehow have 2 files with the same filename in the Garmin folder. This caused the issue for me too. Not sure how that happened!

• For a drastic attempt you can delete everything on the watch - all folders (some will refuse to delete but just skip those), then take the watch off the pc, do a factory reset. Then add the maps manually. I've done that at least once ;)

• Well that'll be my next attempt in troubleshooting this, based on the following observations:

The whole issue might have started when I was reorganizing my courses/routes in komoot. This pushed a lot of course to Garmin Connect which caused at least one buggy course on the watch, that did not show on the map when I asked for it to be drawn nor was I able to delete it via the watch.

I noticed during a run just now that I didn't get any navigation prompts while using the (fast rendering) TalkyToaster maps. So my current lead is:

- somehow this corrupted course, while not visible anymore, causes problems with routable maps only (have to verify whether TT maps fall into this category)

Now, I initially wrote that I did factory reset the watch as a first (desperate) attempt, however, I am not sure whether I used "Reset to Default Values" or "Reset to Default Values and Delete User Data". I'll give the second a shot just to be sure. And prior to that I'll remove the watch from Garmin Connect and delete all course from Garmin Connect (they'll be safely stored in komoot). 

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

At least I feel a bit more confident by now, since I learned that:

- even a 5min wait during boot will eventually come to an end

- the watch is as fast as I remember it, if I simply disable the offending maps, so working out (triathlete on a training plan) is still possible

Nothing so far from Garmin support, let's see what they come up with.

• That's interesting that it works when you disable the maps. Mine was still slow with them disabled when they where still on the watch. You are likely right that it is a corrupt course of some kind. I can't remember if you can format the garmin from within windows but if not deleting as much as you can does no harm if your reset does not work.

• Progress - although I don't really know.

After updating the 2017.30 maps to 2020.20 (I did clear Garmin Connects cache folder) the Fenix works like a champ. Back to its previous speed. I have no idea why, painstakingly checked all the courses, but for now I am happy.

Garmin support dropped me a mail recommending that I delete gmapprom.img and gmapprim.sub - essentially something that I did multiple times during my different attempts, but maybe it helps somebody.

In the end - as it has been mentioned here previously - what probably did it was stubbornly reinstalling the maps via Garmin Connect. A bit frustrating, but if things are all good now I am happy.

• Told you. Doing the same thing over and over seems to work lol.

• Hi Chris,

Please also write to Garmin about this. Insist, try to make them fix the problem. If they don’t, also go via public post (twitter/facebook), to increase the pressure. 

The forum is nice, but it’s Garmin’s job to provide us with well working devices. We payed sufficient money for them. 

Greetings

Jan

• I did. Opened a support ticket and they got back at me, asking me to delete one part of the TopoActive map, potentially to trigger a re-install of the maps, so essentially what I did by substituting the 2017 maps. Told them that I had to reinstall the maps a couple of times to get this working but that I am now good to go.