Fenix 5+ Running start point change

I have had an issue with my Fenix 5 since the start of the year - wondered if anyone else has this issue, or if anyone had solved it.

Effectively, my Fenix 5+ changes my route I run after I save it. This is shown by the green start pointer moving along the route and the route doubling up at the end to make up the lost distance. Overall, the time and the distance remain correct. Below screen shots show this - I pushed the start and end button at the same spot; yet it then shows the start point about 300 yards along my route.

Through trial and error I have worked out that this happens after I save the activity – when I am doing an activity I can see on the watch I have an accurate GPS lock and that at the start of an activity it drops the start pin in the correct location; this is also still in the correct place when I approach the end. It is only after I stop and save that the route changes. This happens before the watch syncs with my phone.

This does not happen on rides or walks. Looking back through my activities, this first happened on the 20th January.

I've tried different GPS constellations, GPS soak and EPO refresh (although i am sure its not the GPS as the lock/positioning when I start and during is accurate).
I've also tried soft and factory resets; updating all the tracking based settings and I have no privacy Zone.

I've raised this with product support (three times) and am still waiting to hear back. To say its a pain in the a** is an understatement. 

Anyone else had this or simiar?

• Hi!

Thanks for reply. I´ve been in contact with garmin support (sweden) and sent them both info and photos of an example activity. We´ll see how fast they work and if they can solve it or just send me a replacement watch. Kinda bad timing with corona and lots of virtual races now so i hope they will work fast. Slight smile

Info if someone else got the same problem:

That wifi was not a problem and and think as ncjharris that the issue is somwhere in the software.

My device was back to factory settings. No personal settings reset. Still the same.

Think i´ve done some massive troubleshooting for Garmins support and they actually gave me thanks for that. I actually think they could send me a Fenix 6 straight away. Slight smile

• Hi - support sent me a link to download the 11.00 firmware to reinstall it onto my device; in case it was corupted. I restored that onto the device.

After I restored i tried several things, using after syncing and updating, using after removing the maps, using without updating at all - each issue was the same.

• Yeah - after each restore i gradually tried adding the settings back one at a time. There are so many that there is a chance i had a specfic combination that didn't tie up and caused the problem, but by and large, i tried most of them!! 

• So - further update. 

I got a reconditioned watch sent to me last week and have been using it for a week since then. I elected to use through iterations to try and see if there were still issues.

1) - I turned on the watch and set it up but did not sync it with my phone or express. No settings were changed The first run (shorturl.at/tEU38) was a bit messy; but I expected that with a cold GPS lock. 

2) - I linked my watch to my phone and let it sync, but did not update it on Garmin express. Basic settings were changed - GPS + GLONASS; every second data recording. The route displayed the same original route changing characteristics (shorturl.at/wxKPV) - including part of the route shown that was not on the graph!

3) - watch was linked to express and FW updated to 12.0 and all available map updates. Still displayed missing route at the start (and made up bit at the end) - shorturl.at/ptwZ0. Routing settings changed; including routing by reduced distance and route to follow road.

4) - I undertook a cycle with the settings. This was ok - GPS tracked perfectly. (shorturl.at/ov267)

5) - I did a master-reset and updated the watch via Express, but not Garmin Connect. Result was a perfect track (shorturl.at/gzC56)

6) - I linked everything and updated and turned off segements and notifications on the activity. Same characteristics again (shorturl.at/jmuTV) no real link between the settings on the watch and when it happens. 

7) following some other posts on data transfer to the watch from other apps/sites; I disabled the 3rd party apps that provided workout data to my watch. This gave me a perfect route again (shorturl.at/ABEST). GPS was set to GPS only 

8) No changes to the settings, but this morning I have had it happen again. Only one change to settings - route calculation method to 'minimise ascent' (although not using routes) (shorturl.at/npzHI)

[for those that are interested the fit files for my last two activities; I don't know enough to know what it shows in them!!]

For each of these I had a green GPS lock and a GPS soak of approximately 1 - 3 minutes depending on what I was doing. I did not run with a phone connection. The activity was saved after completion and there was no wifi connections. I have no alarms or prompts set up. 

I have noticed that the point that the track starts showing on the routes is pretty much the same place everytime - approx 580m from my start point.

I have also found several similar posts on other fenix where people have had this issue, so i'm starting 

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-5-series/230137/fenix-3-route-recording-gaps

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/226644/track-disappeared-mid-run

I am no closer to getting to the bottom of this - With the occasional success of the routes there must be somethign in one of the settings somewhere!

5165589324.zip5161067306.zip

• Have you added any Privacy Zones in Garmin Connect Web?

Using Garmin Connect Web to check, click on Profile & Account icon (top right of screen) then click on the Privacy Settings. Scroll down the page, if necessary, and see if you have any entries for Privacy Zones that cover the start and finish points of your activities.

I have never used this option, but from the description it will move the start and/or finish of a GNSS based activity to protect specific location(s).

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to ncjharris

hi,

so, one good fit file Thumbsup

had a look at your fit files yesterday

all logged settings are the same between the files

except the repeat disaster at the end, and it is possible to reproduce the same error, but how Slight smile

knowing Garmin has your old watch, they will be able to find the bug, hopefully soon

ps

• am not able to use the shorturl, not working for me

happy & safe sporting

• That’s a good point. Completely forgot about that setting.

• Hello - no, definitely no privacy zones. I even tried adding one and removing it to see if there were any stuck settings! Note that its only the start point that moves and pretty much by the same amount. And the route is tracked properly (I can see it in the right place when I run) - its just when I save the route on the watch this happens!! 

• Thanks for looking - and i didn't realise the shorter urls wouldn't work (Expressionless)

i am fairly sure the settings on my account / phone interfere with it. I am going to try another master reset and use if for a couple of days with no connection to Garmin connect or express and see what that does

• I have the same problem. Reset the watch, update the firmware to 12.0, it's worse! The starting point is further compared the old firmware. The watch made up the lost distance at the end with a straight line. Mine is 5 plus Sapphire.