Fenix 5+ power drain

Hello,

I've got a battery drain issue with my fenix 5+. They were not in use for the last 2 months. After powering up, updating (to SW 11.00) and charging the battery life became completely disastrous. In smartwatch mode it consumed aroud 0.4..0.5% per hour. But after first outdoor activity with GPS it started to burn the power like demon. Average consumption ranged from 1.5% to 2% per hour and never less. I tried rebooting and soft reset; this helped until the first GPS activity. After that the power drain returned to the extra level. All external sensors (including wrist HR) were turned off. Moreover, I've tried the beta SW (11.73) - nothing new: after resetting everything looks fine till the first GPS connect.

I love my watches, but the power drain is far off the specification and dissapointes me. I see that without any sport activity battery works well and could hold the charge up to 8..9 days. But it doesn't fit me.
Do you have any idea how to troubleshoot this? 

PS: I tried to fully discharge and recharge the battery to recalibrate the circuits.

Thank you in advance.

Parents
  • Did you switch the watch off with some charge still remaining, or did you store it while it was switched on? If you stored it switched off with about 40% charge nothing much should happen to it, and then nothing much can be done except calling Garmin.

It is likely that the watch has battery protection to shut the device off when the battery is near empty (to avoid over-discharging which damages it), but it doesn't do the battery any good to be near empty for a long time. Loads of information here: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

That said, I had left a Fenix (old one, original model) in a drawer for a year, and after charging it drained real quick. But after  about 20 charge/discharge cycles (I let it run down to 40% and charged it to 80% each time) it had lost some capacity, but now it can be used like normal. 

The 5 Plus is a much newer model so your mileage may vary, but before replacing the battery, you can try to charge it to about 80%, use it a while, let it drain to 40% and repeat that many times. It might just get your watch usable again.

• Did you switch the watch off with some charge still remaining, or did you store it while it was switched on? If you stored it switched off with about 40% charge nothing much should happen to it, and then nothing much can be done except calling Garmin.

It is likely that the watch has battery protection to shut the device off when the battery is near empty (to avoid over-discharging which damages it), but it doesn't do the battery any good to be near empty for a long time. Loads of information here: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

That said, I had left a Fenix (old one, original model) in a drawer for a year, and after charging it drained real quick. But after  about 20 charge/discharge cycles (I let it run down to 40% and charged it to 80% each time) it had lost some capacity, but now it can be used like normal. 

The 5 Plus is a much newer model so your mileage may vary, but before replacing the battery, you can try to charge it to about 80%, use it a while, let it drain to 40% and repeat that many times. It might just get your watch usable again.

Children