Coronavirus heart rate

Hi all,

I am suffering from Coronavirus (rocky few days but starting to feel better today) and one of the main things I noted is that my resting heart rate has gone up by 25-50% and even more, just walking up one flight of stairs causes heart rate to spike 125.  I've seen many others on social media make comments like "just climbing my stairs feels like mount Everest" and so on - well if you have a heart rate monitor you can see why straight away.

It never normally does this when I'm not ill and 125 would be my normal rate when I'm out on a 5 mile run.

Does anyone know if Garmin are working on any updates because it struck me that these kind of activity watches could issue a proactive warning to people if these kind of effects are observed like "Coronavirus warning - year heart appears to be working much harder than normal following very short movement" or something like that?

cheers

Patrick.

• When I was ill, and had fever, my temp went up to 38,5 and I noticed the same about resting heart rate. I was just lying in the bed, and my heart rate was 90-95. Normally it is 65-70.

About climbing stairs, I dont trust the OHR, because it says my HR is about 140-150 during climbing stairs... I tested with a chest strap and it said 110...

• These are not medical devices so it is very unlikely that Garmin would take such a step. They already have the high heart rate alert when resting but that’s as far as I would think they are likely to go.

I also don’t believe that optical heart rate on a wrist mounted watch is sufficiently reliable and accurate to use as a medical grade device. 

Hope you recove quickly

• But ok for an ECG?  (apple)

Probably not but if I look at the heart rate graphs for me from the days before I became ill and the days I was ill, it's very obvious that I have a major issue.

• Apple has got FDA approval I believe so that's in a different category.

Don't get me wrong, these watches can indicate the possible presence of a problem but should not be used as the sole diagnostic tool.

I would not recommend going to a medical professional and saying 'My Garmin says I have COVID-19'. I'd like to think that most people are a bit more sensible but there are some who might not be. We do not want to be talking to medical professionals at this time unless we have physical symptoms. They are stretched enough as it is.

• Hi,

Yes - I think in the end we agree - I was not suggesting that I had it just by one reading.

I know I have it because my wife was diagnosed with it in hospital and I was only with her in the meantime as I had already been in the house the day before she became infections, and we immediately started self isolating as soon as she felt unwell, so there's no way I could have caught it from anyone else and became ill exactly 5 days after her which is the normal incubation period etc.  Further, her consultant in hospital said that I definitely have it too after she described our symptoms and sequence, and I have nearly the full house of other symptoms, even some of the rarer ones, whilst normally being fit and healthy with no issues.

Any such warning would just be an advisory with all sorts of disclaimers like "we noticed the pattern of your status during rest or very minor movements seems to have changed.  If you don't have other explanation for this and believe your watch is fully operational, you may wish to contact medical professional etc...."

Of course, this could only work if the watch already had a significant amount of your past history, and if the same person is wearing it all the time so I agree there are all sorts of issues.

As an aside, I would warn you that this virus is a very nasty little thing that can knock even the most hit and healthy folk for 6 - it's not only an issue for older people as seems to be a common understanding - if you get it at any age, your entire risk of death during the whole of the next year will be front loaded to the next 2.5 weeks.  That's not trivial even if you are young. Also, my experience is that it spreads like wildfire inside your house so if one person in the house gets it, it's almost impossible to prevent the rest.

• Sorry - should have added that in the meantime, I received an email from Oura as I have an Oura ring asking me to participate in a trial.  I have signed up to it, but my gut instinct is that it would be less useful for the above symptoms - as far as I know the Oura ring only measures your heart rate every few minutes so it would not notice the things I described above.  It might notice increased temperature.  I wouldn't rely on it for anything to do with heart rate or activity and use it mainly as a sleep tracker.

• Have you seen the trend analysis that is available from Oura for various parameters such as overnight HRV, RHR and Temp deviation? I think these could be combined to be quite a useful indicator of oncoming fever and illness, also recovery. This is just the raw numbers. It would be down to you to draw your conclusions from the trends.

You can customise your charts and see trends here, with your Oura account....

https://cloud.ouraring.com/trends

• I know I have it because my wife was diagnosed with it in hospital

I know I've just clipped a short bit of a much longer sentence but without testing you possibly have COVID-19. You need to be tested for confirmation.

However, you are doing the right thing by self-isolating. Here in NZ we're in lockdown for at least four weeks. That means we stay within our household 'bubble' for the next four weeks avoiding interaction with anyone else not sharing the same house. We are allowed out for local recreation that does not involve driving to get somewhere for that purpose.

It is indeed a nasty virus and like many other viruses attacks different people differently. Some will display all the symptoms, some none and of course an infinite variety in between. Clearly the best way to deal with it is to reduce the chance of spreading it to someone else.

But, getting back to the original post. Resting heart rate has always been good indicator of the presence of an impending problem be it overtraining or illness. If you observe a steady increase in resting heart rate over a there days or so then chances are you are coming down with something even if asymptomatic. In the current climate that might be the time to go seek medical advice but unless you are displaying symptoms you are likely to get turned away. Unless of course you can provide evidence of having been in contact with someone who has been positively diagnosed with COVID-19.

• You are right to be cautious, and I guess we are going way off topic for smart watch forum, but, I am 99.99999% sure I have it for the following reasons:

My wife was diagnosed positive in hospital by the senior respiratory consultant in the hospital.  She tested negative, but, the consultant informed her that there are a significant percentage of false negative results on the Covid 19 swab test for various reasons.  Hospital consultants can, and should, diagnose Covid 19 in spite of test results if the symptoms are there and other potential causes ruled out (if nothing else to rule out sending infectious patients back into the non isolated part of the hospital).

I developed almost the full house of Covid 19 symtoms exactly 5 days after my wife.  Not just the fever and cough - almost all of them even the ones that only 15% of people are getting.  The consultant told her that she was 99.99999% sure we both had it and was not surprised that some of the tests were negative.  There are articles on the internet you can find about the false negative test rate of the Covid 19 swab test that's used in most countries.  Some estimates are as high as 10%.  It's also a difficult test for nurses to administer effectively as you have to go right into the back of the throat and nose until the person is gagging.

Given the subsequent progression after that - evidence of loss of kidney function, dehyrdration, visible pneumonia on scan that doesn't respond quickly to antibiotics, I suspect she has raised her certainly level to 100%.

My step son also exhibited very mild symptoms at the exact same time but shrugged it off after 2 days - this is again strongly indicative of Covid 19 because the enzyme that it uses to invade your body cells, children have much less of that enzyme in their lungs so it cannot take a big hold before the immune system figures out how to fight it off.

Even leaving all this aside, statistically we know that Covid 19 is spreading like wildfire in the area, and circumstantially my wife went to a meeting with 10 people in a small meeting room on the exact day she was most likely to be infected, with people coming from London which is the epicentre of the UK spread right now.

Therefore test or no, I'm going with it.  In any case, we continue our isolation per government recommendations as we wouldn't want to upset other people even when we are immune.

Edit: For context, I should probably mention that in the UK, the testing process is taking from 1-4 days depending on region to get the results back, so testing and retesting again is not quick, and by the time the first negative test comes back, there's a good chance the second test will be negative as well due to reduced viral load in the nose/throat.  This is all known medical info that you can find on medical websites and confirmed by her consultant directly.  Government's probably don't want to discuss this because it leads to the meda causing mass panic by misrepresenting it.

•  my stress score are around 60 per day with corona.

normal I have under 20.

but my resting hr is same