How do you do the wrist gesture?

How do you get the wrist gesture to work? I have all the options set right, and it works randomly. But it won’t consistently work. Is there some simple move trick that works or somewhere that explains how to do it correctly? When I do it out in public, it looks like I need a therapist

• Apart from the occational unintended activation, I find it very predictable and it very seldom to fails when I'm deliberately trying to activate it.

I think maybe the key here is wrist-rotation rather than arm movement.

Try this little test:
    With your forearm in horizontal position, try rotating your wrist "semi-fast" ~90° towards you without moving your arm. 

• Hey there. Thanks for the tips. Yeah I’ve tried simple movements, slow and fast, clicking my wrist, raising arm and rotating wrist. I occasionally get it to light up Nothing I do is repeatable. Is there somewhere that describes the exact movement? Either I’m missing something, or the watch is defective. 

• My experience is identical to the one you describe. I can't get it to "light up" consistently using any of the recommended wrist (or arm) motions. My wife thinks it's pretty funny watching me try to get it to work. She has a Fitbit Versa 2... "gesture" works flawlessly at about 1/4 the price tag. My daughter has an Apple watch... flawless light up action as well. Garmin support has been non-existent. New watch a few weeks ago that is looking like it's heading back into the box as a return. Bummer... it seems like a nice watch.