Running Power / Structured Training

Former Member
Former Member

I've been looking at switching over to using running power rather than pace in my structured workouts given that I've recently shifted to trail running (training to pace is a little difficult when you're bounding up and down hills).

I've picked up an HRM Run and it's giving me live power readings within a custom data field - all seemed great, right up until I tried to use power to create a structured workout and found that it couldn't - at least from the Garmin Connect.

Does anyone know of a tool that I might be able to use to create a power based structured workout? I know that I could do this with Stryd and Training Peaks, but I'm a little reluctant to spend yet more money when the HRM should allow me to do this.

• you can do it in Trainingpeaks and sync to the watch the issue is that garmin doesnt support run power as a target (native power) so you wont see power in the workoutscreen but has to switch back and forth between workoutscreen and a powerfield but it works and can be done

in connect its not possible and dont know anywhere you can do this for free

• ... and you won't get an alarm if you are below/above the desired power zone. So in my opinion power is not usable for structured trainings because I need to concentrate on the trail rather than having always one eye on the watch screen. I really wish Garmin will enable power based trainings/alarms but Garmin ignores the user feedback since years.

Nevertheless power is really helpful for post training analysis.

BTW: Finalsurge also supports structured powerbased training. And Finalsurge is free of charge. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

I thought as much. Thanks gents!

• pleaaaase garmin make running power avalable in structured workouts :( 

• Running power is available from some 3rd Party Apps where you can set hi and lo alerts based pre-defined power ranges. However, this is a manual process and is cumbersome as you have to manually input the hi/lo ranges for each workout.

so Yeah.. it's there but its a bit of a pain.

• Power gauge working well. Set alerts for zone 2 power range, and get sufficient high and low alerts. Alerts would be better if they could also vibrate (like other training alerts) so you know to look at your watch. Would also be better to integrate running power into normal training widget (like cycling power training) as a lot of training programs can now upload running workouts with power intervals.