This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Missing map for activity

Hi,

I have Garmin fenix 5 Plus with 7.10 firmware version. After today's run the activity is missing a map. Is it possible that GPS failed to activate? In the manual, it reads "If the activity requires GPS, go outside, and wait while the device locates satellites". Is there a way how to check that GPS is activated and receiving signal? Or is there some other thing that I'm missing and might cause the missing map?

Thanks

• I don't really get what happend. Was a track recorded or not? Which map are you talking about?

At the beginning of your activity, your watch tells you if GPS is not yet acquired (red), partially acquired (orange, tracking possible but no elevation  info), or fully acquired (green).

• Thanks for the answer!

Well, I'm not sure if "a track" was recorded. I have the usual info about the activity, e.g. distance, duration etc., but not the map. Either when I cycle the screens on the watches (latest activity -> the map option is missing), or while seeing the details in Garmin Connect. When I look at the previous run, I can see it there.

I didn't notice the GPS ready status, I won't forget to check the next time I'll use it.

• Can you see the track/map in Garmin Connect (web/mobile)?

• No, I can't. The problem is that the GPS can't acquire signal from satellites I guess. Nothing involving GPS works - time sync, map, outdoor activities... I don't know what the problem could be. When I first used the watches, it worked. For the second time (and from there on), it won't. I tried to stay still outside for quite a long time (10+ minutes), reset to factory defaults, ... but nothing worked. I checked the usual things like GPS version (2.50), if EPO is not stale etc. But everything seems to be ok.

Is there any other debugging option or step I could try to take?

• Ask directly to Garmin. Probably, they will suggest to send them the watch though. 

• Are you sure you didn't by mistake start an Indoor Run activity? In that case, GPS will be disabled.

• If you are certain that GPS is on for the activity(ies) in question, and you cannot sync to GPS to update the time, altitude, etc then you need to contact Garmin Support.

• I had this problem - working fine then 6 weeks off with injury. When I next created activity, distance time etc. was captured but not the map. I wear my watch constantly and never turn it off. I think there must have been a firmwear update in the intervening time. After fiddling with a few buttons with no joy I resorted to turning it off and back on again. When I tried a walk outside I made sure i waited until the the green circle appeared before starting around the block. Hey presto - when I downloaded the maps were back. Lost maps cannot be recovered it appears but at least it seems to be working again. Maybe not your exact problem but maybe worth a try.

• Sale thing happened to me today, I think it may come from moving the GPS setting from GPS only to GPS + Glonass

• Thanks for this, I had the same issue, I had been at high latitudes so enabled GPS + Glonass and then no tracks were recorded.  I disabled Glonass but still had the same thing so restarted the watch (hold down 'light' button to power off and on again) and it works now.  I'm really glad I didn't need to do a full system reset!