Some thoughts on Ultratrac mode

Hello everyone

Just bringing my two cents on the Ultratrac mode.
Before anything else I just want to say I'm very happy with my Fenix 5S plus, even with the battery life (getting approx one week with two to three hours of GPS activities + daily smartwatch mode). But as most users I was expecting a top range device like the fenix 5 to manage a full day of GPS, for trekking or ultra trail, software wise - with a decent compromise between GPS accuracy and battery consumption. Unfortunately the consensus is that Ultratrac mode is VERY far from that.
I would be happy with a drop in accuracy if the GPS data was still a little relevant, but all the reports I've seen give distance gaps of more +50% (33 km instead of 24 for example) and GPS tracks look like drawings of my 2 years old boy
Competitors have developed similar modes which are much more intelligently coded (Suunto 9 ultra mode ?).
So to me, Ultratrac is just a marketing name, not yet a feature I'm even considering to use. I prefer packing a small power bank in case I run out of juice during a trek or trail race.

Has anyone got a positive experience with it? Any setting or type of activity where it gave relevant information ?

Parents
  • i wanted to use it for hiking. thought that was just right for that. but i got allways some crazy line, so i don't use it again. as i found out. gps runs 20 seconds and the is 40 seconds off. in between this 40 seconds, it runs the direction and speed from the last 20 sec, then corrects the if you took a turn. 

i wish it would just set a point every 30 or 60 seconds. distance would be off too, but the the track would be usable for "x"day hike.

• i wanted to use it for hiking. thought that was just right for that. but i got allways some crazy line, so i don't use it again. as i found out. gps runs 20 seconds and the is 40 seconds off. in between this 40 seconds, it runs the direction and speed from the last 20 sec, then corrects the if you took a turn. 

i wish it would just set a point every 30 or 60 seconds. distance would be off too, but the the track would be usable for "x"day hike.

Children