Heart Rate Way Wrong

This is my second post about this device and I'm starting to scratch my head about why I spent the money.

I worked out this a few mornings ago-- hard rowing workout. My HR was recording a BPM of around 90 -- way, way lower that it actually was. My actual HR was around 150-160.

Last night I took a really brisk walk, including up a long hill. 5X+ showed a heart rate of between 59 and 65. Actual HR was around 110.

So what's gives?

Any ideas about why this would be so far off? I selected the "row indoor" activity, obviously. I tried both wrists.

Between this giant inaccuracy and the useless (and very misleading) sleep tracking, I'm starting to think this device is no good.

? Things can't be this off.

• Please review this Support Center article:

The Heart Rate Sensor on My Garmin Watch Is Not Accurate

If you continue to have OHR issues, please reach out to Outdoor Product Support in your region.

• Just to let you guys now, the problem with the heartrate beeing stuck at around the resting heart rate of 60 during hiking or walking was never solved for me with the Fenix 5x Plus. I ended up using a chest strap even for hiking or disabling the OHR completing during the hiking session in order to get at least a useful estimation of calories burned etc.

Garmin exchanged my watch once and the behaviour was exactly the same as with the old one.

About a year ago, I upgraded to the Tactix Delta and I can confirm that the OHR does work way better on the new models. No more serious drops during hiking. Only the expected problems with loose bands and misreadings or the fact the the OHR is not as accurate as a strap (which has to be expected in my opinion). But it never happened with the Tactix, that the HR dropped so low and stayed there like frozen. If it went down due to the normal limitations of a wrist sensor, it picked up up again pretty soon and started working again.

For serious sports sessions, I still use the chest strap as a wrist sensor will never be that accurate, especially due to the movement of the watch during mountain biking etc., but I don't like wearing a chest strap for all day hiking so I'm happy now with the Tactix Delta.

I did learn to live with the problems of the 5x Plus OHR and the upgrade to the Tactix was not mainly the OHR, but also the bigger screen, more features etc., but I was pretty happy to see the new sensors working better.

This might not help with your problems with the 5 Plus series but it might save you time looking for a solution. Based on my expirience it looks to me as a design problem of the sensor and the new ones seem to be much more reliable....

• Interesting that you sticked with Garmin despite your experience with the 5X (which is not a cheap product, but top of the line). 

• Well, it is simply because it does everything else very good.....it is still the only proper watch for offline navigation with offline topo maps with an incredible battery runtime. So I accepted the facts about the OHR, which affected me only during hiking activities. For 24/7 tracking it is more than fine and for all other sports I used a chest strap as there are known limitations of wrist OHR anyway on all brands of watches.

I read a lot about the Apple Watch having much better OHR but I will never ever want to have a watch, which needs to be charged every day or so, although I have a lot of Apple devices. And also the battery time with GPS enabled for long hiking session is useless for me as we went on 24h hikes covering 80km in one piece.

It is true that I was very upset at the beginning, but honestly, as soon as I started investigating other brand options, it came clear pretty quick that they all have their flaws and Garmin still has the best overall products. I decided that 24/7 outside activity tracking and navigation + battery life is the better package for me, despite the wrist OHR problems on the 5x Plus during hiking. And the build quality us simply outstanding with sapphire glas etc.

It was clear to me, that with purchasing the Tactix Delta, which is even more expensive than the 5x Plus was, I risk having again problems with OHR, but luckily the new generation of OHR sensors does work much better for me. Still the wrist OHR is not as accurate than a chest strap, but this has to be expected.

• I was found this case also in my F5x when i did cycling it was just recording 90-120bpm sometimes hr did not detect ...

Any solution about this case ,please help

• Really ?.. my f5x software v.25.00 hr detection still wrong

• Did you use any ANT+ connected sensors, when HR was failing?

• And nothing else, speed or cadence sensors?

• My OHR just read 90-120bpm when cycling up hill