Wifi error 700 connecting to Eero wifi

All,

Just looking for a bit of information. I do have a support question open with Garmin. So up until last week I was able to refresh my spotify music on my 5x Plus via my home wifi just fine. The equipment is EERO mesh wifi network. Along came a firmware update to the EERO and now my watch, as well as my wifes VA3M always get wifi connect error 0700. I cannot find anything that documents that error code. Does anyone know what a wifi error 700 means? this network gear has been in place for over a year, and I've had this watch since last summer.

I did all the usual stuff, including resetting my watch to factory and reconfiguring again. Interestingly, all other wifi devices in my home work fine. My current work around was to get out my old Apple Airport express wireless accesspoint and use that to connect my watches to, and that is working just fine. I'm also able to sync via mobile hotspot.

I'm pretty sure the firmware update to my EERO wifi equipment broke my gamins ability to sync. I do have a ticket open with them too, but dont feel like I'll get very far.
  • Same, my 935 worked fine until the latest eero firmware update, now I can connect to my phone's hotspot but not my eero network. Another person reported the same issue at the eero subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/alqjcn/firmware_1312019_eeroos_v3110436/efi047d
  • Sorry, hadnt gotten back here in a bit. The problem ended up being on the EERO side. Seems the last firmware update didnt install correctly on the EERO's, leaving them in an odd state where all other wifi connections EXCEPT a select few devices (my F5X+, and my wife's V3AM) worked fine. After a lot of back and forth with them, they remoted into my network gear, and did some sort of internal reset that fixed the problem. AFAIK, there was nothing that I could have done from consumer side to resolve the problem. I had reconnected my old Apple Airport express just for syncing spotify, which was a good interim fix. All is fine now.

You'll need to contact EERO support via their webpage. Since I seemed to have blazed the trail, I would hope that their own internal knowledge base would short track you to them fixing your system.
  • I was running into an issue where my Garmin Fenix 5x would fail to sync over Eero wifi router. The 5x would connect to the wifi just fine, but would fail to sync with the error "Network Error. Try again later." It turns out the problem was the Eero "Advanced Security" feature. The watch continued to sync fine after disabling the Eero "Advanced Security" feature. I had thought the issue pre-dated enabling "Advanced Security", but I've proven to myself that it is the cause after enabling and disabling it enough time.

Adding this note in case others come across this in the future.

• I can confirm on my FR630 and some folks using Index Scales, disabling Advanced Security works. In addition, you can set up a Guest Network on the Eero, put your Garmin device on that and see if that works. It appears that bypasses the Advanced Security feature and is working for me now. No more having to disable and enable Advanced Security with each WiFi sync! 

• after a week of trying and now an hour on the phone with tech support after the scale Garmin S1 mysteriously downloading new software (3.20) and my moving to  a new home.  I abandoned my Nighthawk wifi and have now an Amazon eeco smoking hot WIFI 6 router/wifi.   Damn scale is not syncing, but ACTS like its all setup and Garmin Android Connect says all is well and etc etc.   My Fenix 5X seems to be working......I need to verify that now though.   Anyway MarkBallou you nailed this!!!  I switched to my wife's AirPort wifi (old) and her SSID and got the checkmark on the SCALE finally and its working great.  She has WPA of course. 

The Scale needs BUT it seems the WIFI is an advanced "lifeform" and the Garmin products are not FORWARD compatible???  Not sure what the eeco does not BACKWARD support.  But I will setup a separate SSID without ADVANCED security as you suggest Mark

What Requirements Does My Wi-Fi Network Need to Meet?

Your Wi-Fi network must meet the following requirements to be compatible:

• Supported Frequency: 2.4 GHz only
    • Supported Protocols: 802.11 ac, b, g or n (802.1x is not supported) 
    • Supported Channels: Channels 1-11 only
    • Security: Unencrypted,  WPA, and WPA2
    • Passwords for encrypted networks must meet an 8 character minimum in length
    • Networks with a hidden SSID are not supported
  • The Eero "Advanced Security" is traffic shaping software in your router and doesn't really have anything to do with Wi-Fi specifically. It wouldn't normally be called out in "Security Requirements". I reported this issue to Eero when I cancelled my subscription. I'm surprised they haven't resolved it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin devices were using the network in some non-standard way and causing traffic to be recognized as malware and blocked. I have since upgraded to newer Eero devices and still have no issues with my Fenix 5x, although I have never gone back to the Eero subscription.

• Interesting, because now I have RE-established my old NightHawk and my SSID wifi network and ALSO as per the above on my wife's Airport with here SSID / wifi network and I am having trouble with the S1 on ALL THREE of them.  When I am in the phone Garmin Connect APP the scale itself is not reporting the networks or they come up and I enter the password and it times out?  I have three WIFI networks of various ages and standards...........is the eero router the point where the trapping and confusion is going on?  I don't seem to be able to communicate and negotiate WIFI connectivity with any of them very reliably??? 

You seem to have round that the new eero devices work better???  I have one that is a week old from Frontier with WIFI 6.  running v6.10.2-71 software on an eero Pro 6 model K010011 and I must say this is starting to peeve me off as I am wasting a LOT of time on this? 

NO WAY amd I spending $150 on an S2 Garmin Scale to 'fix' the problem because it doesn't sound like it will?  What do you suggest??? 

• The fail point seems to be in Garmin Connect sawing down the SSIDs and putting in passwords that seem to NOT every authenticate and it times out.  The scale WIFI components seems to be having problems?  I think its the latest Garmin Software that got pushed out in my case last week???  3.20 or something for the S1 scale?  Too many other coincidences?

• My experience with Garmin devices over the last 8-9 years is that they aren't great at networking or software in general. They do get better with each iteration though. The issue not reporting networks is likely an example of this. They are really bad at some things. Even if there were an issue with Eero device, your scale/phone app should be robust enough to still tell you what networks are available and allow you to connect to new networks. If their devices weren't so much better than the competition, I would have ditched Garmin a long time ago.

I suspect that it is the Eero device causing your problems syncing if you are able to even connect to that network. My experience with this issue is with a watch only and it was more than two years ago. Try disabling "Advanced Security" somewhere in the Eero app settings. This is a non-standard feature of the Eero devices and is something you actually have to pay extra for. They give you some number of months free as a trial though. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do this as the app looks different when you don't pay for this subscription. This "Advanced Security" is an extra feature meant to block malware. I don't really know much about it, it's mostly a black bock. You would likely have the same problem if it were hypothetically possible to physically plug in your scale into the Eero device.

• Dr Stevens I found the elusive setting under "Discovery" and in my case I needed to disable it on the Office Gateway eero as well the eero PRo6 I have in the family room as an extender? 

customersupport.brctv.com/.../1500012569741-eero-Secure-Support

Unfortunately the SSIDs are discovered but then disappear and then if I DO get to set them up it takes a long time to get the password there and it times out.   Its like the discovery software OR the saved SSIDs is flawed.  I need to "forget" all the networks from the scale and start from scratch.

It is clearly crappy software programming.  They did something and screwed up what was working?  A lesson from Billy Gates or Steve Jobs in forced obsolescence and subscription service software.

<sigh>