Custom watch face during activity?

Is the new plus series able to show complex custom watch faces during activities? The normal 5 just shows the Garmin standard watch face
  • Well to me ridiculous is running around in circles on some artificial track.

Get a life, discover nature, run on trails through fields and woods, discover the autolap feature : )

• That's what I do, but I still want to use my lap button to divide my run into separate segments (warmup, road, trail, cooldown, etc.)

• Sorry, Bitti, that was meant as a reaction to RunR : )

• Yes, I understood. Slight smile But I too find that "a sports watch without lap function is somehow ridiculous", even though I can't recall when I've last ran around in circles on artificial tracks.

• Yes, I understood. Slight smile But I too find that "a sports watch without lap function is somehow ridiculous", even though I can't recall when I've last ran around in circles on artificial tracks.

(Actually, I find it a little confusing that they still call the button "Lap", even though starting a new interval or progressing to the next workout step are probably the more common uses.)

• Well I am not sure what I would get from the data if I devided it that way : / I guess I'm just a dumb runner ("Run, Forrest, run" : ) type. I just run from the start to finish. And all around my house are hills, so usually I just get up, get dressed and run uphill without any food or drink, warm up... Hello lactate : )

• Good idea! On my F3 I sometimes had this (e.g. due to bending the wrist while cycling with gloves). With my smaller F5+ I never experienced accidental presses.

• If you really want to say that every run with the use of a lap buttons is ridiculous, why to you use a sophisticated sports watch?

Maybe you have never heard it, but interval training makes fun, makes you faster, can happen anywhere and also some hard pace work on a track can be a nice thing.

Additionally the lap function can simply be used to measure distances, e.g. the lap around your favorite lake, how many meters of height your favorite climb has etc..

• Okay, enough with the trolling, sorry RunR, I can see you're really passionate about running and I totally respect that. You see when I got my first Garmin (fénix 3) in 2015, I was cycling and swimming (open water). I had problems when I pushed too hard, I had migraines, threw up and was useless for the rest of the day. So I wanted to better watch my heart rate. The first let down was when I got to some page in manual -- where stated in small letters -- was said "GPS during open water swimming works only with freestyle" and I swim only breaststroke, bummer. I swim in a flooded quarry so the GPS there would be no go anyway, so my other objection is that in the swimming pool activity I can only set the pool length to 150 meters max while the length in the quarry is about 167 meters. So I have to manually increase the length in Garmin connect which of course screws up all the calories, times, speed and so on. Anyway after 40 months the rubber sealing (I guess) in the START/STOP button started to leak water, sent it for a paid service replacement and was told they don't have the spare parts needed and offered fénix 5 Plus with discount of about 1/3 of the official price so I took it. Besides these activities I use the watch for strength and walking. Also in my previous job I had access to gym so I did a fair amount of treadmill running in the morning as well. This all changed about one year ago when we got a dog for the kids, a border collie. A year later no one really does anything around the dog but cuddle. So I started to run with him. This year I rode my bike only once : ( And that's how I got to running outdoors. Though I have to say it is nice to read that I am among 5% percent of users with my 53 VO2 max and that my fitness level is at 20 years of age when I turned 42 this year : ) I guess we all have our own story how we got to where we are.