Large Gaps in Wrist Based Optical HR Readings

Has anyone else started to see large gaps in wrist HR readings lately? This is occurring with me mostly during sleep. I’m seeing multiple gaps each night that range from a few minutes all the way up to an hour or so. I’m not sure but it seems this issue started occurring with the 4.20 software update. I know it has nothing to do with how I wear my watch because I exchanged my watch for a new one from the retailer I purchased it from and the issue still occurs.
  • Is this what you guys are talking about? I think it's still recording HR data, it's just glitching in the graph. I've had no issues during runs.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1397308.jpg
  • Is this what you guys are talking about? I think it's still recording HR data, it's just glitching in the graph. I've had no issues during runs.

What I was experiencing was a dropout like that, but for the whole time of a run. After doing a hard reset, the only time I am getting what you got is when I connect the watch with my Mac to charge or to put music on it.
  • Well after a couple of weeks I decided to return my watch. Mainly because the ohrm just wasn’t cutting it. It had some days where it would track about 50% of the day and then on other days it wouldn’t track at all. Mind you the ohrm was my only beef about the watch but at this price point I couldn’t get past it considering how much hr data means to my outlook when I’m not using a chest strap and the impact it has on baseline data.

Anyways all the best to you all on here and I’m sure I’ll try garmin again when or if they make their ohrm more usable for people with darker skin complexion.
  • There are few threads around for this but this most closely resemble the issues I am seeing. Whilst cycling I get these HR dropouts. Initially I believe I was not wearing the watch tightly enough around my wrist (I am very skinny so it's not that easy to get a good fit with a larger watch), but my later rides are better in this respect. However I still see a difference in the heart rate overview pages online, but not in the iOS app. I am not sure if this is due to missing data during the ride? Incorrectly reported on the ride details page or a smoothing/rounding of graphs on the overview pages online and in the phone app? I have attached two screenshots displaying the same activity/time period. 

Ride details pageAll day activity overview page

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago
    I know it has nothing to do with how I wear my watch because I exchanged my watch for a new one from the retailer I purchased it from and the issue still occurs.

I experienced an issue this morning with the HR suddenly jumping beyond max hr during a steady state run. The watch was tight, but swimming in sweat. I've taken the watch off, wiped my wrist down and reseated the watch firmly. The HR reading was nominal for the rest of that run.

You'll find that the drops and the miss-reads are almost always caused by some environmental factor, be it the way that you're wearing it, the fact your skin is too cold (causing your capillaries in the surface of your skin to contract), or from the sensing being confused as it slips around on a sweaty patch of skin.

Try tightening the watch if you're not getting a reading and try and ensure that the skin is dry(ish).

• Looks like that is the case for me. I suspect my wrist it a bit too narrow for this watch, I consider replacing if with the Fenix 5s Plus instead (Amazon purchase). I have no problems whilst running/working/sleeping etc, this only happens when I cycle. This morning I was wearing the band very tight, but the majority of the ride ended up without HR data. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to kenhaug

Id wear the watch with the HRM on the inside of my wrist during rides if that's your issue (the HRM is likely pulling away from the skin as you rotate your wrist to hold the bar). You won't be able to glance down to see your HR (unless you're ok the drops of a racing bike), but it'll make better contact with your skin.

• Yup! that seems to have done the trick. I use an Edge unit on my bike anyway. Thank you for the advise!