Large Gaps in Wrist Based Optical HR Readings

Has anyone else started to see large gaps in wrist HR readings lately? This is occurring with me mostly during sleep. I’m seeing multiple gaps each night that range from a few minutes all the way up to an hour or so. I’m not sure but it seems this issue started occurring with the 4.20 software update. I know it has nothing to do with how I wear my watch because I exchanged my watch for a new one from the retailer I purchased it from and the issue still occurs.
  • Has anyone else started to see large gaps in wrist HR readings lately? This is occurring with me mostly during sleep. I’m seeing multiple gaps each night that range from a few minutes all the way up to an hour or so. I’m not sure but it seems this issue started occurring with the 4.20 software update. I know it has nothing to do with how I wear my watch because I exchanged my watch for a new one from the retailer I purchased it from and the issue still occurs.

I started noticing that there are gaps in the optical HR readings during running. I checked, and these go back into July. In Garmin Connect, if I click on Heart Rate under My Day, I can see the gap and a number is shown as the High heart rate that is not consistent with what I would normally have during a run. If I click on the running activity itself under My Day, the correct heart rate is shown without any dropouts. I spoke to Garmin about this, and they suggested deleting and re-installing the Run app, If this does not work, they want me to return the watch.
  • i have had the same problem...Garmin seems unable or unwilling to fix this...I have reported the matter too. The upgrades have not addressed it...by the way..i am dark skinned and this seems to be part of the problem...i wonder how many other dark skinned 5x plus users have this problem..i did not have this issue with the 5x i upgraded from.
  • i have had the same problem...Garmin seems unable or unwilling to fix this...I have reported the matter too. The upgrades have not addressed it...by the way..i am dark skinned and this seems to be part of the problem...i wonder how many other dark skinned 5x plus users have this problem..i did not have this issue with the 5x i upgraded from.

Deleting the Run app and re-installing did not work to correct the problem. I will talk to Garmin again on Monday and report here what they say about resolving the problem. It seems more like a software problem than a problem with the watch since the data is captured in one place but not in another.
  • I’ve also had this same issue with the sensor not staying consistent.
  • I started noticing that there are gaps in the optical HR readings during running. I checked, and these go back into July. In Garmin Connect, if I click on Heart Rate under My Day, I can see the gap and a number is shown as the High heart rate that is not consistent with what I would normally have during a run. If I click on the running activity itself under My Day, the correct heart rate is shown without any dropouts. I spoke to Garmin about this, and they suggested deleting and re-installing the Run app, If this does not work, they want me to return the watch.

I spoke with Garmin again this morning. The optical HR readings drop out only with either road running or treadmill running. They are visible for all other activities like strength, hiking, and kayaking. Also, looking back thru the records, the HR readings did not drop out for running from 7/7/18 when I got the 5S Plus until 7/20/18. Since then, the dropout has occurred consistently. The Garmin rep. agreed that this seems to be a software problem - not a problem with the watch. They opened a case and I will be providing them with additional information.
  • Thanks for the updates, hopefully Garmin fixes this sooner than later.
  • Same issue here.. as the Optical HR sensor will read my HR only periodically and is not consistent at all. I contacted Garmin and they at first recommended I update the software which I had already done to 4.20. They then asked that I try the beta software 4.6.. Neither of those resolved this problem. I upgraded to the 5 plus from the fenix 3 and I also have the Apple Watch Series 2 and a fitbit Charge 2 which all read my HR throughout the day with no issues or breaks.. I was really looking forward to consolidating all of these and using the Fenix 5 plus all day and to monitor my sleep patterns.. Looks like its going back to Clever Training and as I'm reading about others having the same issue... I may be stuck training with my old trusty Fenix 3 strictly for running and the others for use during the day.
  • Just an update, I’m going to give the latest beta a try and see what happens after a couple of days. There’s a sensor hub update in it so hopefully that helps with the ohrm issues
  • It’s been 48 hours and indeed it has been better overall so hopefully they can continue fine tuning it.
  • After I sent all the info. requested regarding the HR dropout during running I was experiencing, Garmin suggested doing a hard reset. I did that 2 days ago, and have now done 2 running sessions in which the HR did not drop out. I told Garmin that from my perspective, the problem is fixed.

There is a discrepancy between what is shown as the maximum HR in the My Day section of Garmin Connect, and what is shown in the specific Activity. For instance, yesterday, in the My Day section under Heart Rate it showed my max HR as 166. In the Activity (Running), it showed it as 174. I am not sure what number the Performance Stats uses to compute metrics, but the All Day Heart Rate under Health Stats uses the HR under My Day, which in my example was not the max HR.