Open Water GPS problem

Did my third swim with my F5X Plus, so far all my ow swimming had problems with the GPS.
It's very inaccurate.

I've done the exact swim several times with my old F3HR never been a problem

Tried used the three different GPS modes, all equally bad.

It should be more or less straight lines back and forth, see screenshot.

Am I missing a setting or do I have a faulty watch?

?? ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1370184.jpg
  • I've seen the something in the early days of a device. Seems to take Garmin a couple of iterations of the algorithm to get it right. Contact Garmin support and let them know. In the meantime, make sure you do have a good GPS fix before you start. If you stop at anytime during the swim, lift the device out of the water and give it a chance to relocate.

GPS tracking in the water is a combination of the best fixes it can get when swimming - obviously better when doing freestyle - and some wonderful mathematical assumptions that usually result in something that resembles the course you swam. Somedays it is better than others. But it is still best guess.
  • Dcrainmaker posted a few tracks that look just like this. He was talking to Garmin about it .
  • Same issue here with a Fenix 5 Plus. First time I did around 1,500 meters but it just showed 250. Second time I did around 2,500-3,000 but it just showed 1,500. However the map seemed to track what I did correctly. Also, I had 1,000 meters alerts on but instead it gave me 500 meters alerts. Data recording was set at "every second" mode and I tried all three GPS modes. I also have version 4.20. First reply from Garmin Spain was: "GPS measurement in open water will never be as accurate as when running or cycling because GPS looses connexion when paddling, so we don't think your watch has any problem". Funny, isn't it?.
  • I am so frustrated because I can not have the full refund any more, but for sure, the money that thay taken for this F5X+ are the latest that they will ever have from me

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to rediblues

Did it work for you before your warranty expired?  If it didn't, that's your fault for not getting a refund.  Is it now failing after your warranty expired?  We all want our devices to last forever, but there's a reason manufacturer's place warranty's on their products and we're all aware that they're only guaranteed up until that date when we purchase them.  

• I'm pretty sure its coincidence but today I had the best Open Water Swim GPS track i've ever had. It was almost spot on with only one small spike. My distance alerts were pretty much in line with the distance marker buoys (2.25k). Today I also upgraded to 7.6, before my swim, from 7.55 beta. There were no changes in GPS so its unlikely there were any changes to OWS but I thought i'd mention it as DCRainmaker mentioned he'd been testing new GPS and Firmware updates to the Marq and Forerunner to improve OWS. Hopefully those changes will make their way into the Fenix 5+. Anyone else noticed any difference?  

• OWS is a continual work in progress, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Great to hear you have a good track but bear in mind that the Marq and the 945 both have the new Sony chipset. Not sure how improvements there will affect OWS on the 5+ series. Hopefully for the better. I did have occasional good swims with my 5+ during the summer up here in NZ. Too cold to go sea swimming for me now. Yes I know, take a concrete pill and HTFU LOL!