This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bug: Epix Gen 2 Disconnecting and Reconnecting to Bluetooth often

I have used my Epix Gen 2 in several training activities since it arrived a few days ago. Overall it has been a wonderful experience. 

However, I find that there are occasions where the watch disconnects from my Samsung S21 Ultra and then reconnects within two or three seconds. The behavior happens about three times in a row and then it subsides.

Because it is reconnecting so quickly, I has not posed a significant problem. But, it is odd that it happens. The phone is always on my person when it happens.

The Epix Gen 2 has the latest software update and so does my phone. 

Anyone else experience this?

• How close/far are you to the phone when it disconnects?

• Within inches of the device.  

• That qualifies as a problem. I just rechecked mine. It remained connected with the phone in the northeast corner of the house (not a small house) while I was in the basement, separated by one floor and several walls. I lost connection in the basement SW corner bedroom. I'm using a replacement watch after experiencing disconnect/pairing problems with my original. Initially, the BT on the first watch was also excellent.

• This is the standard Garmin answer: We are not responsible, please read the FAQ.

There will be a software update in May that addresses the issue.

• Update: Thanks for responding & pointing out confusing post.

With Auto Pause ‘On’, I was experiencing multiple disconnects (phone in utility belt on abdomen) during all activities when stopped for a rest AND when sitting idle at home watching TV with phone inches away on the couch. I turned Auto Pause ‘Off’ in my activities  (Walking, Hiking, Trail Running, and Bicycling) because it was driving me nuts. To pause data recording during an activity I simply press upper right button once, then a second time when want to resume activity & data recording.

That being said, in General Settings I always keep Phone Connections Alerts ‘On’ (Menu/Settings/Notifications & Alerts/System Alerts/Phone Connections Alerts). This always alerts me when leaving phone at home AND from leaving phone in car when left charging out of sight in a covered wireless charger.

As far as BT disconnects inside my home go, that also drove me crazy, but since turning off ‘Auto Pause’ I no longer experience close proximity disconnects while sitting idle. However, since I live in a 100+ year old apartment building whose walls, ceilings, floors are of old-school construction (thick, rock-solid), I can’t get 50 feet away from exiting front door (and oftentimes in other interior rooms depending on phone proximity) without a Phone disconnect alert. Same experience extremely useful when walking away from phone left in car.

My guess is a possible ‘Auto Pause’ software cross-contamination that may exist between activities and everyday use which hopefully will be addressed/corrected in future updates. In the meantime, my Auto Pause feature ‘hack’ is a very workable & satisfying solution for me.

Hope this is useful and offers additional clarification.

Thx

• Looks like you've found a satisfactory workaround. Thanks for the tip about autopause. I didn't run into that same problem, but I didn't like the alerts during autopause so shut it off. It is useful though. Several times I've resumed an activity before remembering to Resume. 

• Hi, ran a marathon in march: twice my BT to my headphones was disconnected, ran one last week 4 times! Manual intervention necessary to reconnect. Furthermore I had the impression that the watch itself was frozen for +- 20s. Willl it be likely that this issue will be solved next software release or do I bring the watch back via the supplier for repair/revision? 

• Update on my problem. After answering some initial questions from Garmin, I sent the watch back to them. They then replied and said they didn't have any replacement in stock and didn't know when they would get one in. I moaned at them a bit so they refunded me in full and same day I went out and bought a new Epix 2 for cheaper so I made money on that. Zero drops in bluetooth connection on this new watch. No cut outs on headphones or on Stryd foot pod or anything. Happy days and long may it continue! It is a fantastic watch. 

• I can confirm that I have the same problem. I go running with my epix gen. 2, using Airpods Pro for audio. I always leave my phone at home.

The problem is, in my opinion, quite major.Since february 2022, I've logged 60 runs and I don't remember when was the last time I ran 20 minutes without Airpods Pro disconnecting while running.  

Sometimes simple reconnect help, sometimes watch freezes when reconnecting to airpods, sometimes watch even restarts itself.

With confidence I can say, that every run Airpods disconnect. Yes, literally every time I run. Sometimes once, sometimes (when running more than 1 hour) even twice. It's annoying. In february/march it was better, but since April the disconnecting issue is quite severe. More with the fact, that the watch cost 1000 euro in my country.

Apart from disconnecting problem, it's a great watch and I love it. But to have headphones disconnected every run, oh my, it's so annoying.

• Had the same issue, it is so annoying that headphones are disconnected during running, especially during races. I decided to return my watch to the original vendor. I received a new one and - HEUREJ - as of that moment my headphones do not disconnect anymore...