New beta program is a step backwards

I am happy to see processes change and continually improve, especially where consumers can have access to early beta testing and provide feedback to enhance products. But unfortunately I am struggling to see the benefits of the new beta firmware process. Traditionally beta and  early testing is adopted by tinkerers, tech heads, and gadget aficionados - the kind of people that don't mind downloading a zip file, connecting their device in mass storage mode, and then controlling the manual update process. 

The new process takes all this control away and instead automates the process through Garmin connect. Which kind of made sense, until I actually tried it. After opening Garmin connect it informs there is a new firmware version (21.8 beta?). Not only is this firmware not available for download on the forum, its not even mentioned, leaving visitors to believe the latest firmware is 21.0. After clicking the download, I am prompted to continue through Garmin express, even though Garmin connect states the update would be applied during the next sync through connect (it wasn't).

Garmin express now needs to be updated. After updating Garmin express I continue to the update, which now has a different change log to the change log in Garmin connect. Not only different, but incorrect, as it is announcing features already available on my watch provided by the last update. Is this a beta version or has this been pushed out to every user as a major version? As far as I can tell, I can't tell. The number system doesnt help either, as there seems to be no standard numbers between Garmin major, minor, and beta versions. As well as all the version bumps. 

I am also advised my watch requires the latest Hub sensor update, which believe it or not, is the exact same version currently on my watch.

I am left confused about what changes the update will provide, whether it is even a beta, if it will try and update the sensor hub to a version already on my watch, and whether the update can be applied through connect or it can only be done in express. 

What used to be a simple 'plug in, drop file, update' is now a confusing mess that may or may not even provide new features

• The new process takes all this control away and instead automates the process through Garmin connect

If you read the details about the beta program you’ll see there are two parts now. The alpha downloads (formerly beta) are downloaded and installed manually as before with announcements being made concerning ability from within the beta forums. The ‘new’ beta software (formerly RC) is provided to people who have signed up to the beta program via GE or GCM. The software is provided as a package that will include necessary updates for other elements such as sensor hubs, GPS, etc. in both cases you can sign up to receive the announcement  Any bugs and discussion pertaining to the beta software should be made in the relevant places within the beta program. If you have any questions then ask them in the beta forum.

The only software that will be released to the public at large will be that which Garmin deem as suitable for public release  

It really is not rocket science. It’s just different and more like other beta programs.  

• ok, I see how it is configured now. I guess I was confused by the naming of the links, i.e I need to click "report a beta software issue" in order to find and install the alpha firmware.