Enduro - 20.30 Public Release

Hello Enduro customers,

20.30 is our public release that will be rolled out in phases starting this afternoon. We’ve posted it here for our forum users who wish to install it immediately.

Thank you to our beta testing community for your continued persistence in reporting issues observed with altimeter performance.  We know the issues have been numerous and are grateful for your feedback and continued effort to resolve specific use case problems.  We believe we’ve improved all known bugs with the altimeter performance.  However, we do see feedback on a few issues that mainly pertain to auto-calibrating to a higher value overnight or upon first calibration under certain conditions.  We believe these issues are related to bad calibration points that have occurred across the various beta updates.  If you are experiencing excessive elevation spikes or drops, please follow the guidance below to resolve this issue:

• If the change occurs overnight, please manually calibrate to your correct elevation directly before you go to bed. (This step is important.  Calibrating in the morning will not resolve the issue)
  • If the change occurs during an activity, please manually calibrate to the correct elevation just before pressing the start button at your given location.

Thank you again to all who’ve helped improve this feature.  We understand the process can be challenging, but certainly value your input.

20.30 Change Log Notes (if updating from last public release candidate, v20.20):

• Improved altitude calibration.

20.30 Full Release Change Log (Since v19.20):

• Added ability to turn off recording an activity during a golf round.
  • Added HRV Support from chest strap for Yoga and breathwork.
  • Added pop-up to Pulse Ox Measuring feature if the device detects too much movement and cannot get an accurate measurement.
  • Added support for new biking activity profiles: eBike, eMTB, Cyclocross, Gravel Bike, Bike Commute, Bike Tour, and Road Bike.
  • Added support for the HIIT activity profile and workouts.
  • Added support for the Pickleball profile.
  • Added support for the Padel profile.
  • Added support for the snowshoe activity profile.
  • Added support for the tennis activity profile.
  • Added new tips to indicate which activities support Incident detection.
  • Improved Explore Sync app waypoint load times.
  • Improved Lactate Threshold and Altitude Acclimation algorithms.
  • Improved measurement loading UI when taking an SpO2 measurement.
  • Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will set the device to periodically calibrate altitude throughout the day. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to calibrate altitude at night and before the start of an activity.
  • Fixed issue with alarms intermittently not going off when the device is set in Max. Battery Mode.
  • Fixed display issues on the device after navigating to a point initiated by the Garmin Explore App.
  • Fixed issue where selecting a single point on a map that contained multiple items would not display the items properly.
  • Fixed issue that would corrupt open water swim activity files.
  • Fixed issue where PacePro bands would not be recognized by the device.
  • Fixed issue with activities reporting incorrect Activity Calories and Training Effect data.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE: 3.00

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line

We know this post states it is a public release, yet the URL states it's a beta.  This is simply a method of delivery for public beta.  We use the same channel and therefore the 'beta' term follows each of these links.  We only note it is a public release so that you are aware it's the version to go live to the public.  

• Edit: I was in contact with local Garmin support. My issues described below turned out to be due to faulty watch. I'll send it back to Garmin for repair.

Barometric altitude measurement behaves a little bit better now, but still the main problem in my case is the influence of watch temperature.

As you may know the internal temperature measurement is influenced by both ambient temperature and body temperature, so it means that the temperature measurement shouldn't/cannot be used for eg. making conclutions like weather changes etc.

I live in Finland, and in winter we usually have snow and it's cold ;)

So, when I go out for a run. My watch temperature shows 27 celsius. I calibrate the altimeter with DEM/manually to 10m outside. Temperature outside is 0 celsius. I start activity. During the first 10 minutes or so the temperature measured by watch decreases from 27 to 10 celcius, due to cold ambient temperature. As a result the altimeter starts to rise quickly in this case up to 88m, but the whole course is relatively flat, only +/- 5m altitude changes. Same effect can be seen if you take the watch from your wrist and put it on top of something cold, so the watch casing temperature goes down and altitude goes up drastically.

But that's not all. After about 20 minutes from the start. My body gets nicely warmed up, and as a result my body temperature starts to affect more to watch in my wrist. Measured temperature starts to rise from 10 to 20 celsius (weather remains the same). As a result altimeter starts to drop down. Altitude drops down to -52m. So the only conclution is that the watch temperature is some how drastically involved with the baro/altimeter value. I think it shouldn't...

Above case was with v20.20, but I noticed the same behavior with v20.30 too...

My old watch is Fenix 5. About two years ago it had exactly the same problems. Those issues got fixed in software later on. I just wonder why Garmin have same issues with Enduro/Fenix 6??? How this were fixed in Fenix 5, can you check it out?

Please take a look the software from this perspective and try to get it right!

• I think I have a similar issue (APAC model). From the time I started using the Enduro I have noticed my total ascents have been consistently higher than everyone for the same trail distance and climbs we did. It's particularly problematic when Barometer Watch Mode is in Auto. I had to leave that in Altimeter mode for total elevation gains to be recorded lower but it's still too high compared to my reference Fenix 3 HR that has a race history of accuracy.

After 9 months of frustration, I finally returned it to Garmin who said the watch has been sent to Taiwan to be checked. I don't know what can be done but I hope it doesn't get returned to me with a note that they were unable to find anything wrong with it. During numerous correspondence with Garmin Support, they looked at the FIT files from the Enduro and F3HR and said the differences were within Garmin's standards. I cannot accept 300m of total ascent to be acceptable. When comparing my F3HR vs a loaner F5X and friends' Forerunner 935 ... the differences were less between 5m and 30m. Now, these are acceptable, not 150-300m. 

• Ever since this new update Vo2max stopped showing/recording on Enduro..heart rate is on like it always but Vo2max it's not recording it at all 

• Disappointed to find that Garmin has removed "continuously during activities" from 20.30. I recall when updates for 20.00 was announced the following was included

New functionality added to Enduro software ver 20.00:
    'Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will calibrate at night, activity start, and continuously during activities. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to only calibrate altitude at night.'
    My Enduro has been returned to Garmin because it's recording too much elevation gain. A friend with a US model Enduro recently installed 20.30 and it upset me to see that it did not add continuously during activities to the Altimeter function