This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Altimeter or Barometer mode for this elevation profile?

The Enduro's Elevation Gain accuracy is making my head spin. When Barometer Watch Mode is in Auto, the watch records ridiculously high Elev Gain so I have had to juggle between 'Altimeter' or 'Barometer' mode to calm it down. This profile is a result of a 11.5 hour hike over 36km where my Fenix 3HR recorded 2688m while the Enduro (in Watch Mode: Auto) recorded 3308m — a massive 620m difference. I know 2688m to be the correct figure as that's close to what the other watches (Garmin Fenix 6, Forerunner 745, Coros Pace, Coros Vertix, Polar) recorded too in the range of 2600-2800m. Even another Enduro (US model with the same software version19.20) recorded under 2700m.  I have reset the watch once, don't want to go through that again. Using GPS+GLONASS, 1-sec Recording. 

• I assume the extra altitude is caused by pressure fluctuations due to weather. Have you tried setting the sensor calibration during activity to "Continuous Mode" to eliminate the influence of weather?

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=bq8ukuBFY02hCQVUueiH56

• Unfortunately the Enduro has no "Continuous Mode" so this option is totally out and I feel rather helpless in that I can only toggle between Altimeter or Barometer watch mode since Auto is demonstrably crap. This behaviour started from when the watch was first used and has been consistent so there's nothing blocking the sensor port although I haven't tried what others have claimed to fix this ie by wearing it on the right wrist. My Fenix 3 HR doesn't need to be worn on the right wrist to be accurate.

• I am sorry there are issues. Engineering is actively working on improving the altimeter. The last few Beta releases have all referenced the altimeter. If you are interested, you are welcome to add the Beta to your watch..

• Can't install beta updates in APAC region devices and roll out to APAC devices when 20.0 is available to US region watches can take months.

What I read here is also worrying https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/enduro/278370/system-software-20-00

Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will calibrate at night, activity start, and continuously during activities. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to only calibrate altitude at night. (Models without DEM maps will not perform continuous calibration during activities)

I'm confused. This software is for Enduro, are there Enduro models with and without DEM maps? It sounds like even with 'continuous calibration' added to 20.0 it isn't going to be used.

• EDITED To Note: The Enduro 1st generation does not have the DEM map since there is no mapping on the watch.

• Are you fully sure, Chris?

First of all Enduro has just a tiny memory, secondly it is sold as a watch without maps. OK, maybe DEM map is not part of 64MB, but is burnt into ROM. But I would not bet on it.

On the othet hand at the time of your post there was no Enduro 2 yet, just Enduro (1). So your phrasing “all Enduro watches” sound a bit strange.

My Enduro will arrive this week and I can compare its calculation method to that of my Fenix6X.

• Just seconds after my post I found it:

NOTE: The EnduroTm, fēnix® 6 Standard, fēnix® 6S Standard, Instinct® series, and Instinct® 2 series watches do not have DEM mapping stored, and must be connected to the Garmin Connect app to calibrate by DEM. Install the latest software to your watch to use this feature.”

• Thank you for fact checking me 2+ years later. I appreciate it. The information I gave at the time came directly from a source that was clearly wrong at the time. Thank you for finding the information.

Since this thread is so old, I will edit my response and will be locking this thread.