This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bug report: Enduro 2 data field selection during activity

See the video and text description below.
Enduro 2, software version 10.44
Bug description: attempting to change any data field during activity will result in ANOTHER data field reverting to Lap Time or Lap Distance data field.
In the video linked below, I start by changing the bottom data field to heart rate, then go to change the left data field and the bottom one just reverts to Lap Time.
This only happens while attempting to change data fields during activity recording. Doesn't happen if no activity is being recorded.
Sorry about noise/vibration in the video. I was on the bike trainer.
  • Hi Chris,

The issue seems to persist if the data fields are being changed via either method during the course of an activity being recorded. It does not happen if I use touch & hold or using the buttons while not recording an activity.

• You are correct. The data fields will need to be setup outside of an activity until the issue  gets resolved.

• I've run in the same issue on Fenix 7X twice during the last two weeks - both times unintentionally.

Not only the watch enters the field customization mode too easily, but all fields change at once. See the discussion here: forums.garmin.com/.../wet-sleeve-touching-the-watch-screen-during-a-run-has-changed-all-fields-on-data-screen-on-its-own-whaaat. There is also a link to the video at the bottom of the thread.

Furthermore, it seems that I only need to touch the screen for just one second to start editing the fields. Today when that happened I was actually trying to press the UP button with my right hand. I was running fast which made it more awkward to press the button. It seems that I touched the screen in the process which had instantly messed all data fields up. In my opinion the timeout should be at least 2 seconds to make unintentional screen customization less likely. 

• I posted my video about this 2 month ago here: https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-7-series/315955/malfunctioning-touch-during-activity And will add it again.

And yes maybe the interval to change it should be raised a little bit, even if it is someday working as intended.

Or just give us a "safe touch mode" as I have requested a few times already. The purpose of a "safe" touch mode would be, that is not capable of changing any settings or doing anything that can't be undone, like stopping and discarding a running activity, changing datafiels, deleting widgets or activity profiles, performing a factory reset in the main menu.

It is an outdoor watch, and outdoors can get wet unexpected. But we bought a touchscreen watch and still want to use it the 99% it's safe to use, but we don't want to have it mess up stuff if the unexpected 1% happens (sudden rain, wet clothes touching it, a sweatdroplets..)

So give us a "safe touch mode" that can be used to navigate pages in the activity, the map, widgets when being outside of the activity  (if that gets ever fixed so it can be used during activities) but not change settings or delete stuff.

Or the other solution "detect when the screen is wet and turn if off" giving the user the message "water/erratic-touch-behavior detected on screen, touch disabled for x seconds/minutes". My more than 10 year old e-reader can do that with less then a quarter of the computing power of my watch.