Lots of issues with the MK2i - Never gain a Garmin Descent!

I love the functionality of the MK2i but really the quality sucks.

I’m piling up transmitters that Garmin sents me to replace the non functional ones. Last I got two new, which worked fine for about 20 dives. Finally I thought the issue was solved. Until now: connecting immediately on surface but as soon as I descent the loos the connection, same with both transmitter (I dive sidemount). As soon as back on the surface they re-connect. Apparently they fail to switch to the sonic transmitter mode. I also found out that they don’t go to standby mode anymore. 

After removing and replacing the batteries they got to standby. Today I’ll dive with them again. Let’s see if they keep the connection under water. Why can’t these transmitters just work like on Suunto? 

Next issue: The battery clip: I’ve already got the second battery clip. now this one also stops charging. I need to play with it for ages until I eventually find a position in which it finds a connection.

Next it did not synchronise with the connect app. Several resets, reinstalls of the App etc. finally fixed it.

Seriously: it is a nice computer but until Garmin has fixed these issues it is just unusable! 

An expensive pice of kit that is just not mature.

• I have about 40 dives into my mk2i with a transmitter and I have no issues with the transmitter or charging clip. If they have replaced the transmitter multiple times maybe the watch is faulty.

If you know someone with an mk2i lend them one of your transmitters and see if they have the same issues.

Also how do you notice if the transmitter doesn't go into standby mode? How long does the battery last in non standby mode. I have had mine since early June without replacing the battery.

• >150 salt water dives here, no issues with charging cable or T1 since August 2021. Original T1 battery lasted 67 dives. 2nd battery up to 84 dives (avg 50 minutes, 24C). Freshwater rinse post activities (running, cycling), fresh water soak with camera after diving. APAC v14.20. 

Not crazy about the proprietary charging cable interface, but it works.

Hope you get yours sorted out - it's a pretty solid device.

Safe diving

• I haven't had any problems with Descent Mk2 charging cables, but the cable for my old Forerunner went bad and one of the pins got pushed back behind the others. Have you inspected the cable to make sure the pins are clean and evenly aligned? 

• It takes only a few minute for the transmitter to go to standby once the pressure on the tank is zero. 

Just wait like 10 minutes and see if the watch is still connected to the transmitter. 

The T1’s worked again after the Battery was removed and replaced. At least. Garmin is going to swap out the watch. I just hope I can get it to charge often enough to work though out this vacation. 

I was wondering if any of you had made similar experiences with the MK2i or the transmitters or if it was just me?

• I know about 6-7 people in the local dive shop and they haven't reported any problems at least, so maybe you where just unlucky.

• Never had any charging issues.

Could you please put make some pictures of the watch pins and the charging cable pins? Close-ups of good quality.

Had no issue wit the T1 but only used for about 20 dives

• I dive sidemount to, and i never had any issues (60+ dives now) the only thing is that the T1 devices need to see each other before they go in the water. I usualy take my tanks to the water side, open the valves than i gear up, thats it.

• I’ve sent it back to Garmin for replacement today.

But to answer your question: there is nothing to see on the pins. I managed to charge the watch but it is always a matter of playing with the connector for a while. in the original position it would not charge at all.

• Let’s see when I get the watch back from Garmin. Maybe I have a whole pile of working T1’s afterwards (in case the cause is actually the watch, not the T1’s)

There was one however that never went to sleep, as it als never went to 0 bar pressure. Every couple of days a new battery was needed…..

for that one I’m waiting for a SW update. Maybe it re-calibrates as part of that update.

• I have this same problem with charging connector. My Mk2i is 2yrs old, and started having trouble over the last couple months. Upgraded to the new Mk3i, still same issue with new Mk3i charging cable on the Mk2i watch. It seems to work/connect to a pc when it’s somewhere around the 45 degree mark, but I have to play with it to find the sweet spot to connect. The question is, how do I get the Mk2i looked at to get it resolved.