Garmin MK2 seems rusty after 5 months of use

I'm a Divemaster and I make about 3-4 dives a day. Also like to run and hike a lot and I wanted a GPS watch that can do all that stuff but also be a good dive computer.... And of cource Garmin is the only company that has achieved that so far.

The problem is that the stainless steel model rusted after the first month of heavy diving use and recently I have noticed some rust at one of the "goldish" charging contacts.

I wash the watch with fresh water after every dive but unfortunately it rusted around the buttons and at one of he contacts and that last made me to search if other have the same issue with this watch that is built to be in the water!

• Interesting.  I've had my (current*) Descent Mk1 for almost 4 years and done around 400 dives with it.  It basically gets a light rinse with freshwater after each dive plus I wear it in the shower.  Other than that, it gets no special treatment.  There's not even the slightest sign of rust or any other corrosion. 

* I say "current" because Garmin replaced my original in December 2018 after one of the buttons just stopped working.  The replacement has been working without any issues (other than known software glitches) and I am even still using the watch band from the original one.

Seems Garmin changed something major with the Mk2.

• These sure are discouraging news... I will stop showering with mine on just in case

• What an irony spending €1300 to buy a DIVING watch and afraid to get it wet because it rusts garmin has done it again. 

• Hi. Is there any updates on the rust problem from Garmin? I just realised that my MK2 (bought 1 month ago) has some rust around the buttons similar to the one shown in the picture of the OP. 

• Garmin told me they were not aware of any known issues and replaced my one with a brand new one (not a referb)... if you have this issue, get in touch with support. The more reports the more they should look into it. They were excellent with me on the replacement, though I do worry it'll happen again but will see... 

• Of course it will happen again... I see no reason for this not to happen to every "stainless steel" model.

In fact I'm really impressed that they replaced yours.... Do you have any pictures of your old one? I think it should be in a really bad shape compared to mine in order for them to replace it

• Depends.. they could of had a bad batch of SS supply which caused it in a select number.. SS if right, shouldn't rust.. + it wasn't the bezel, but inside the button so not sure what they have used in the button... here is mine, not really that bad, but it was rust so they sorted it: photos.app.goo.gl/MJuVemwSL7Zer7DG7

• Wow!!  Exactly the same issue as mine.... Also mine has a small piece of rust at the charging pins (you can notice this at the photos)

I'm glad that you share it with us. Now I'm gonna ask for a replacement and I might ask to pay some extra to take the titanium model... Titanium doesn't rust so I will be sure I will not have an issue in the future!

• Hi there.  As you can see below Garmin has replaced the watch of the other person that had the "rust issue"

I managed to clean mine with a soft toothbrush, a cloth and a lot of fresh water... Now it seems like brand new but at the moment I stopped the dives and I use more my instict solar.

In 2 months I will start diving again and then we will see if the problem occurs again.... If it does I will ask for a peplacement to the titanium model... Because it's just unacceptable for a diving watch to rust so easily!!!

• Hi guys. Thanks for the reply and information! Really appreciate it. Mine has the exact same rust as yours. I’ll try to ask for a replacement and I really hope it is possible. 

And is it possible to change to titanium with some additional fees? Would they allow that?