T1 Transmitter w/MK2i thoughts

Had a chance to test these two items out for a bit today in open water.

Overall thought they performed well together.

The subwave technology is legit as I tested it out for 30 mins or so between depths and distances using reels to gauge distance and had no problem averaging 35/40' of distance. Would get occasional interference and lowering of signal and couldn't get a real idea as to why.. perhaps visibility/turbidity of water at moments?

Battery on the watch lost 4% over an hour while paired and transmitting. As for how much the battery lost? Shrug Can't say because there wasn't really a way to tell.

I would say this could be something that Garmin can work on/add as time goes on...a graphical display for the battery either on the watch or through the app.

Upon opening the package yesterday the battery was low out of the gate. Changing the battery is extremely easy and uses a CR123A.

Once it's back up all you can see it's 'good' under information details for the battery life. It takes some hunting and wish this had more detail, easier to find.

That's my initial thoughts on the watch with the transmitter.

• Lol u boats, i suppose 10m isnt far, but remember thats loud enough for watch to convert it back to meaningful electrical signal not how far it travels, but if your diving around sharks or dolphins i wonder how the sonar effects them? You wouldn't want undue attraction let alone antagonism to draw them in 

• From my experience sonar is sonar/sounds are sounds. There's no place on your body that you could place this to make a meaningful difference. The sound will travel and it will travel fast no matter what.

I should have paid more attention to when I tested the distance you could be from the transmitter with it still working but as I've said...I was wearing a hood and it wasn't affecting me to where I noticed it.  Only instances for a brief moment where I thought I heard something but wasn't sure. It only was weeks after and many dives later that I became aware of it.

But your focused on so much more while you're driving this is honestly barely any issue. I think you're overthinking it if this sound is a 'dealbreaker' for you when there are so many more incredible pros that would outweigh it 10/1

.As far as the sonar signal affecting/interfering with maine life I think the signal is too weak to make any sort of difference for maine life. No fish have been remotely bothered or changed their normal patterns while I've used this. The signal from a fish finder itself on a boat packs more of a punch than what this emits.

• From my experience sonar is sonar/sounds are sounds.

Not sure what exactly you mean, but sonar is using sounds for detecting obstacles, so you could in fact tell sonar = sounds

There's no place on your body that you could place this to make a meaningful difference. The sound will travel and it will travel fast no matter what.

The speed of propagation of the soundvawe in water is unimportant. What is important is the loss of the signal strenght with the distance from the source. And it has two main factors:

1. Spreading Loss - any signal (EM, light, sound,...) loses its strength with the square of distance from the source. 
    2. Attenuation Loss - there are other factors that increase the loss of the signal with distance, predominantly it is the viscosity of water, for higher sound frequencies

It means that if you have the transmitter 50 cm from your ear, instead of 10 cm (5 times further), the sound will be 25 times weaker, only by the spreading loss (together with the attenuation loss it is even more than that). That's a damn important difference.

If you want a more accurate formula for calculating the Total Propagatio Loss, you can find it for example in the document PRINCIPLES OF UNDERWATER SOUND Chapter 8 - see especially the paragraph 8.7.4

• Nice to put the science in it as well!! I read that you can actually modify the strength of the signal from the transmitter as well. So if we can combine that with a meter of hose connecting the transmitter at the level of your original gauge (hip area is where mine is) you might not hear anything.. perhaps someone can test this as the transmitter is not available in my country of residence at the moment...

• I the transmitter today in 75 degree water with no hood. The beeping is incredibly annoying and loud after you pass 20 feet. Multiple people in my group though there was a problem with my equipment because the beeping could be heard from far away. I can't prove it but I think it also affected the wild life. I had a headache from listening to it after 2 hours of diving. 

• Sadly this appears to be true. Went on my first 2 dives today with the Transmitter and MK2i and the beeping drove me crazy. It is always there and depending on your heads position it is loud. I did two 60 minutes dives and I never forgot about it or could ignore it. It's always there. I was hoping this was an anomaly and could be rectified. If this is the normal I can't see enjoying a recreational dive. It literally reminds me of a hospital monitor sound and is very annoying

• How many decibels is that sound at the transmitter?

• I forgot to add that while the surface transmission @2.5Ghz is expectedly stated at 0 dbm, the sonar dbm is completely ommited in the same T1 spec sheet

• Closest existing thread for T1 feedback... low battery warning appeared just before 60th dive in 8 months. That's about 45 hours off a new battery CR123A. I continued with the dive (have a brass spg) and absolutely no issues. Pressure has always been correct and the T1's 'ping' is hardly noticable and not a nuisance. Just north of 1600km running in past 12 months. Great device. Great device. 

• Closest existing thread for T1 feedback... low battery warning appeared just before 60th dive in 8 months. That's about 45 hours off a new battery CR123A. I continued with the dive (have a brass spg) and absolutely no issues. Pressure has always been correct and the T1's 'ping' is hardly noticable and not a nuisance. Just north of 1600km running in past 12 months. Great device. Great device.