Connect IQ benchmark App

As I dont have an Mk2i yet, was wondering if someone with it could install this app from the IQ store and run it.

apps.garmin.com/.../7d836871-cf67-4963-b56b-1d81a7808ba0

It simply runs a benchmark and gives the CPU a speed score.

I'd like to see how it compares to a Fenix 6X.

Thanks

• I just got mine today, so not sure what all this means, but here you go. 

• Awesome, its showing:

Firmware version 2.10

Screen resolution 280 pixels

CPU Speed score 4.0 and 27.8 Pips [Higher is better]

I think there is a newer firmware version already 4.0 which you can update to by connecting to a PC or Mac using Garmin Express software.

You could try running it again after you update the firmware, but the score may not change much.

Here is what I get on my Fenix 6X, nearly the same, so assuming they have similar CPU's inside, but this watch came out late 2019, so was hoping the Descent Mk2i would be a a bit faster being released a year later, oh well.

Thanks for posting the benchmark.

• I think Garmin does most of its innovation in the platform in the software side. Hardware is based on different ARM Cortex M4 CPU's on the motherboard and main CPU's are Freescale/NXP Keenetis processors since years. Processors are almost same but software is better in each generation. For example, Garmin Fenix 3 has a 180 MHz CPU and Garmin Epix has 120 MHz although it has a mapping capability which requires much more processing power. The reason for using slower CPU is the slower one supports external DDR memory while the other uses only 256 KB internal SRAM. However, benchmarks may display different results as 120 or 180 MHz is he limit of chip production company. In order to save power and have long battery life, Garmin is probably using them at lower frequencies. Fenix 5X has the same CPU with Garmin Epix, although it's a newer device. Fenix 6 series has 150 MHz main cpu but there are different sensor hubs and chips with other Cortex M4 CPU's for different duties.

Also CIQ may not give really a good representation of the performance of the watch. I remember, with a software update, Garmin decreased the benchmark scores of Garmin Fenix 5X. Later, probably after some complaints they increase the CIQ performance again, however not to the first level.

Descent series are the extension of 6 series, so they're probably based on the same hardware platform with some differences. As most of the thing is done in the software, they may use the same platform in Fenix 7 series, who knows...

• Thank you for all that info.

I like knowing about the hardware underneath the software.

How do you know about it?

Are the hardware specs available to lookup for each watch?

• There are teardowns on the Net for Fenix series, you can check them.