How dumb is the "Approaching NDL" alert?

What were the designers/developers thinking when they added this "feature"?

Don't get me wrong.  An alert that warns you when you are getting close to your NDL is a great idea.  The problem is that this isn't it.

This alert is triggered when the N2% hits 80% (in the yellow on the left of the screen) and has nothing at all to do with the NDL.  It also only ever comes up once in a dive.

On one of my regular dives I usually get the alert relatively early in my dive and my NDL is often 30 minutes or more.  At that time it is completely meaningless.  Later in the dives I can get to 5 minutes or even less but I get no further warning.

On Sunday I was on a relatively shallow dive (max depth ~14m, average depth ~11m) and I got the alert at around 105 minutes into the dive when I was at a depth of less than 11m on EAN26 (EAD <10m).  My NDL was 99+!  The NDL didn't go below 99 minutes for rest of the dive.

It would be so much better if it was actually linked to the NDL and was either configurable or was sort of "smart" based on the depth.

Every time I get the alert I just think how dumb it is!

While we'll probably never see this fixed in the Mk1 I wonder if they'll get rid of it with the Mk2.