No issues on the mk1?

The last update was "some" month ago. No issues to fix? I am just curious. Have I missed something?

• 0 problems at the moment for continuous use in various sports, it is a good piece of hardware & software

• Well, there are obviously things to fix as you can watch the continued updates that the Fenix 5 lineup is getting.

While I have nothing but positive things to say about how they’ve progressed with the 5, 5+ and 6 lineups, Garmin completely BOTCHED the Descent Mk1. 

• Hey Odie, could you elaborate, briefly at least, on why you think they botched it? Isn´t the MK1 a Fenix 5X + dive computer? If so, how can Garmin "progress" so much in that line, and not this one?

• They (Garmin) were very slow with updates and fixes and this goes back to the very beginning of the Mk1’s release. They were not receptive to suggestions from Diving Professionals here on this forum and from very experienced Divers.

The Mk1’s last update was on 8/2/19. The 5 series has had (6) “Official” updates (and this doesn’t even include beta’s) since then. If they felt that the 5 series needed to be updated, then why was a watch based on the 5 series left out in the cold? This has been the common theme from Garmin from day one of this watches release.

This watch had so much potential but Garmin’s support of it has been very poor and this includes the employees dedicated to this forum. I won’t blame “Garmin-Nate” though because he was brought in late and he did legitimately try to help.

• Baba Yaga, the current firmware level for Descent MK1 is at the level of fenix 5 release 13.30. Fenix 5 is up to the version 19.10. We can assume that ALL fixes released for Fenix 5 between 13.30 and now are not available for Descent MK1.

So no issues? Many issues! I am very frustrated with continuous altitude issues and useless ski app. 

For Fenix 5 fix details check this:

fenix 5 software version 19.10 - Change History

• Well, those facts are so overwhelming, it is almost hard to believe... Why would Garmin not update both the MK1 and Fenix 5 at the same pace if they are function on the same platform? 

Is it a business decision? As in, there are very few MK1 users compared to fenix 5, so they are putting their attention elsewhere? is there some kind of official channel we could use to elevate a request?

• They should pay more attention to this watch, 

We literally put our lives in the hands of Garmin when we are diving, in multiple gases mode, apnea etc, This is not a problem of 200 metro when running 5k that can be for being upset, we can DIE 

For example there is no way to be SURE we can dive in altitude ... there is no confirmation of it in manual or in the web .... you are sure they correct the algorithm depending of GPS altitude .... why ? is there any place yo ve read it ?

I think it is the last diving computer from garmin I buy , I love garmin for running, swimming ....

I dont think is serious they have let us totally abandoned 

• We literally put our lives in the hands of Garmin when we are diving, in multiple gases mode, apnea etc, This is not a problem of 200 metro when running 5k that can be for being upset, we can DIE 

And this is likely exactly the reason why you see much less firmware updates on MK1 than on Fenix 5. The updates on diving computers are subject of much longer testing, verification, and certification, which is a lengthy and expensive process.

• Maybe so but remember the “Diving” activities on the watch are just that, “activities”. They want to to ensure that there’s a safe experience for the Diver and do testing, yet they have a plethora of “Beta’s” and updates for other models.

Why am I mentioning this? Well, because of another “activity” on the watch that could also be classified as “life or death” type sport but is that watch stringently tested before it comes out on a beta? What am I referring to?

Jumpmaster...aka Skydiving. Do NOT tell me that incorrect updates couldn’t have an effect on THIS activity. It can’t? Well, then what’s the difference between the 2 activities then?

This isn’t directed towards you Trux, just a generalized statement to Garmin. I have asked them time and time again the difference and the hypocrisy of updating one watch, vs the other in a more prompt manner. We’ve been told by Heath that they can’t do updates (faster) or beta’s because of the possibility it would effect the “diving” activities. 

Garmin haven’t updated the “diving” activities with  additions/improvements since January ‘19. That’s not “being careful”, that’s just “we’re in over our heads” with this product.

• I have asked them time and time again the difference and the hypocrisy of updating one watch, vs the other in a more prompt manner.

Not sure what you mean by the hypocrisy,  but as I wrote, diving equipment is a subject of rather strict certification process, which is complicated, lengthy, and expensive. And it does not matter whether the developper did a change just in a part of the code that "should not" impact any diving activity. It is still the same piece of firmware, and the watch needs to go through the entire process of certifications. The next reason may be that there are certainly at least 2 or 3 orders of magnitude less MK1 owners than those of Fenix, so Garmin cannot afford the same allocation of development resources to both products. You simply won't get updates on MK1 with the same frequency as at Fenix.